I don't usually post recipes, but I do like to share snippets of my life in Australia - and this is one of those snippets!
These scrolls are a favourite snack for my girls - and I like them myself too!
We used to buy them from the bakers as a treat, but then I found a recipe and now I make them most weeks and the girls get them in their school lunch boxes!
I'm not sure where I got the recipe from - I still have it written on a scrappy bit of paper (must get a round to writing it in my recipe book!!)
I thought I'd share the recipe here - a good Australian snack! What makes it Australian? The addition of this..
1. Mix 1 cup water and 1/2 tsp yeast until there are no lumps.
2. Add 25g melted butter, 1/4 cup milk, 5tsp sugar and 1tsp salt. Mix
3. Sift 3 cups flour in and mix, keep adding until dough loses most of its stickiness. Turn out and knead for 10 mins.
4. Put the ball of dough into a greased bowl.
Cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for about an hour. It should rise and look like this:
5. Roll the dough out into a large square.
6. Here's where it gets Aussie!!
Spread with Vegemite and cover with grated cheese.
7. Roll carefully into a log and using a very sharp knife, cut into slices and place on a greased baking tray.
8. Cover with a damp tea towel again for around an hour and they should rise some more to look like this:
9. Bake in oven 200C (395F) for 15 mins.
10. Enjoy your Cheesymite Scrolls!! Yum!