Some pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Simple quilted mobile phone case - 5 steps in 15mins tutorial


I'm a passionate believer that you can do anything you want to - you just have to give it a go!

This is the idea behind my series of tutorials of


Simple projects that anyone can try! 
You don't have to be an expert at sewing!

I have a mobile phone - but I'm one of those rare people who don't have an iPhone!  As a result - there don't seem to be any fancy cases that fit my phone!  So I decided to make my own.
Something a bit more exciting than the case it came with:

And since I've been trying my hand at a bit of quilting recently - I thought I'd add a bit of that!  And also - use up some of my scraps - including part of an old t-shirt!

So here's how you can make your very own fancy quilted mobile phone cover in just
5 steps and 15 minutes!

Step 1. Measure your mobile phone then cut the following:


1 rectangle for the outer fabric:
Length = length of phone plus 3 cm (1.25")
Width = double the width of phone, plus 3 cm (1.25")
1 more rectangle the same size for the inner fabric.
2 strips for the top binding - length of your rectangles x 6cm (2.5")
Small piece of stitch in velcro 1cm (1/2") wide.

note:  You can just use 2 pieces of fabric for your rectangles. However, the rectangle for my outer fabric was made from scraps pieced and stitched together in a rough patchwork:




Step 2. Pin your two rectangles wrong sides together then stitch around the edges to hold them in place.....


...so you can do the quilting!  Quilting is basically stitching 2 or more layers of fabric together. I just ran several wavy lines along the fabric - by wiggling the fabric left and right as I stitched!


You can get fancy here with any style or shape of stitching you like.  I tried out some silver thread on mine to add a bit of extra bling! 



Step 3. Trim the 4 edges of your rectangle to neaten, before adding the binding:

Take your two binding strips, fold and iron like this:



Then you place your rectangles inside the folds like so, and stitch:


Step 4. Overlock, or serge the raw edges to prevent fraying - if you don't have an overlocker - simply zig-zag stitch close to the edges and trim the loose threads.

Then fold your rectangle in half right sides together with the binding together at the top - and stitch down both sides with a 3/8" seam:


Step 5. Turn the case right sides out - and stitch on the velcro pieces on either side of the top binding on the inside of the case:


Done!  Slip in your mobile phone!

I made another one with other scraps too:

For the downloadable PDF version of this tutorial, click here.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
I've made several more of these 5 steps in 15 minute tutorials for handy and useful things - either check out my tutorials page - or click here!

Happy sewing!




I'll be linking this to some of the wonderful linky parties whose pretty buttons you see on the bottom of this page!

4 comments:

  1. A quick little pouch with so many uses, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just pinned this so I don't forget to make it :). Thanks for the visit to AccidentallyAngela.com too. Have a wonderful November! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial and great way to recycle scrap fabric.I made a quilted mobile pouch as a beginner in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very innovative post and I really enjoyed watching the pictures. I actually thought this information is nice and all are encouraged to implement it.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people take the time to leave me a comment, and I do read them all and try to reply them. Do make sure you've checked 'show my email' in your profile (on your dashboard) so your email will show up for me to reply to! Thank you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails