Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vintage inspired dinner roll holder

A couple of years ago, I found the pattern for this Vintage Inspired Dinner Roll Holder on a blog called Gingercake.

I loved it and straight away dowloaded the free tutorial.  Then it has sat there on my computer - forgotten, ever since!
Until now!  
I decided it was time to give it a try and finally make myself a fancy dinner roll holder.

The instructions were nice and clear, and it's a pretty simple tutorial to follow.
Really you make 3 fabric circles..
And then measure and stitch them together in a particular way to produce the pretty basket-like result.

To fasten it together, I got out my collection of snap fasteners - which  I don't think I've ever actually used!
I decided on a packet that my mum brought me out from England on her last trip:

Can you see the price on the top right? 8.5p!  I think mum's had these a while too!
I followed the instructions and attached a couple to my dinner roll holder...

Popped the studs together...

And ta da..  I now have my very own dinner roll holder!
With some matching napkin rings I made a couple of days ago 

Of course you don't just have to put bread rolls in it!
You could fill it with small packs of chips for the kids..

Or a selection of sweeties..

Really whatever you would like!
It could even work as a desk tidy - filled with pens, erasers, paper clips etc!

A very versatile little fabric dish!

A big thank-you to Gingercake for the fabulous tutorial.
You can find that here.

I will be linking this project to many of the fabulous linky parties whose pretty buttons are on the bottom of this page, and whose direct links are on my linky party page.


  1. That is quite clever! I think it would make a fun gift, filled with whatever suits the occasion. Examples: new baby supplies, school supplies, happy birthday cupcakes, matchbox cars for a little boy, etc.

    1. What a great idea to fill it with things for a gift Susan! I hadn't thought of that!

  2. Wow! That is really cool!!

  3. Looks so cute with the fun stuff inside it! I rarely use snaps because of sewing them on - but those look so easy.

    1. Thanks Mich!
      These snaps were banged in with a hammer - but I also have a nifty tool that squeezes them into place - I just have to try to remember how to use it....


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !