Friday, March 18, 2011

Scrappy Friday - sewing machine cover

Today I wanted a quick, easy and useful project that would use up some of the small squares of fabric I cut months ago, and that have been sitting in a box waiting to be used since then.

For a while now, I've been thinking of making a cover for my sewing machine.  We have our ceiling fans turning constantly throughout our house, and the dust does get blown onto everything!

So  - remembering I wanted a quick, easy project - I just grabbed the squares and started sewing them together in no particular order:

I sewed them together into strips..

Each strip was long enough to wrap half-way around the base of my sewing machine.

Then I sewed the strips together...

Again in no particular order - easy and quick, not worrying about matching colours or the lines of the squares!

Then once I had large rectangle, I cut a matching sized piece from an old curtain lining I had.

With each rectangle, I folded them in half, right sides together, stitched down the sides, then reaching inside the fabric, I flattened each corner to a triangle and sewed across - to 'box' the corners out. I then cut off the triangle corner beyond my stitching, and repeated with the other corner, same for both pieces of fabric.

I then put the pieces one inside the other - wrong sides together and turned the edges over to hide the raw ends.  And stitched it all closed!

And voila!! A new sewing machine cover - made from lots of very small scrappy squares - and an old piece of curtain lining!

Not bad for a super fast project....

There's my trusty little machine peeking out from it's new cosy cover !

Not bad - for a throw it together job! And it's practical, useful and does the trick!!


  1. Very clever, and considering this was a quick thrown-together type of thing it's very pretty too!

  2. Fantastic idea. I just might copy! Buttons would probably look cute sewn on randomly on the seams too!

  3. Returning the Blog Love. I’m following you back now!

    Becca's Perspective

  4. Following from Boost My Blog Friday :)

  5. What a beautiful cover...very clever!!
    I just might give this one a try!!

  6. I love it! Projects that use up those scraps are always fantastic, and this is cute and functional to boot. <3

  7. That is very nice - I have no idea how to work a sewing machine. I did take a home economics class in junior high about 30 years ago and I think I got a "C"... My mother in law was a home ec teacher and she still hems and sews for my husband.. You would think after 22 years of marriage I would have learned.. Crazy! Your project is beautiful.
    I'm your newest follower. would love a follow back.
    I've Become My Mother
    Kelly's Ideas
    Amazing Salvation

  8. You did such a great job on your sewing machine cover! My mom is a seamstress and I'm sure she'll be impressed with this idea. Btw, following you now from Boost My Blog Friday. Hope you'll follow back :)

  9. Very Cute!!!

    I am a new follower from the blog hop and would love it if you could follow me back.

    Have a very happy Friday!


  10. That is very cute! I do wish I had just a little bit of the crafting gene in me!

    Thank you for stopping by and following my blog. I am your newest follower.


  11. Hi Jill~
    What a cute project! I am so impressed with anyone who can sew...I have a hard time just mending something! :)
    My creativity does NOT extend to needles and thread but I admire those who can!
    Thanks for stopping by today.
    Following you back. :)

  12. Newest follower from the Boost My Blog Friday blog hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back! Have a great day! (:


  13. What a great idea. My MIL got me into quiliting, although since the little people were born, my grandmother's sewing machine is collecting dust in the basement. I think this is the perfect excuse to break it out - one for me and one for my MIL> Quick and easy project (I have so many fat quarters from joann's it's ridiculous) You have a new follower in me!

  14. What great ideas! I love the sweing mahcine cover and will have to come back and try some others out. My daughter would love the bed pockest for her books too. Wow! I will return for more fun ideas.thanks. I am following you from the boost your bloghop.

  15. Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and follow back when you have a chance. We also have a Friday Blog Hop going on too! Hope you are having a Sweet Week.
    Free Blog Tutorials, Buttons, & Templates


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !