I saw something similar to this sometime last year made with tiles - and thought I'd try it out with fabric!
First I decided to make some to use for daily family dinners. Now that both my daughters can read - they may add a bit of fun to dinner times!
I wrote the questions I wanted on the coasters - then printed them onto fabric using my regular computer printer. I've found this works either with stiff fabric, or by ironing bondaweb / vlisoflex onto the back of any fabric - which then makes the fabric stiff enough to go through the printer.
I have found that black ink seems to work ok, and although it dulls a little in the wash - it stays. I can't get coloured ink to stay - it just washes out.
Ironing after printing is supposed to heat set the ink and help it stay on the fabric.
Then I cut each question out - each one was now a size that would fit on a coaster.
To help prevent fraying, I used this around the edges..
Then once it was dry, I ironed each question onto a square of fabric (12cm x 12cm) ..
Then I cut more squares for the backing - also 12cm square.
Then right sides together, I stitched around the edges, leaving an opening to turn out, and trimmed the corners.
Finally I turned the coaster right side out, ironed and topstitched.
Here's the finished set - all ready for a chatty family dinner time!
And the fabric on the reverse even has little hearts on - so we can always use them for valentine coasters!
I also decided to make another set of talking coaster, using these ideas we have in a beer mug for dinner parties...
There - now that looks much better!!
For the downloadable PDF version of this tutorial, click here.
And for over 100 of my other sewing tutorials - for all levels and abilities click here.