This year my daughter is in the school musical production, Superkids. I am helping out with the costumes.
My daughter has been cast as one of the school bullies, and they have to wear denim shorts or skirts. Since she has to do cartwheels and other gymnastics on stage, she asked me to make her a denim skirt that she could do cartwheels in!
I don't sew a lot of clothes, and when I do I like to keep it simple.
I saw this as a great way to use up some more of my denim scraps too, so asked my daughter if a patchwork skirt would be ok.
She was happy with that, so I set to work with my denim scraps cutting strips the right length (measured from the length of one of her other skirts).
I also got a piece of wide elastic (from my Wonder Woman costume I made last year) and cut that down to her waist size - making a simple waistband.
I then stitched the denim strips together (they were all just roughly cut, not measured) and then joined them in a loop and simply stitched them to the waistband of the skirt.
Since the denim is rather thick fabric, I didn't want to just hem the bottom of the skirt. We decided on snipping around the base and will 'ruffle' the fabric to create a raggy edged look.
The skirt is nice and simple and soft enough for my daughter to do her gymnastics on stage in.
She tested it out with the boots she will wear and was very happy with it!
The teacher directing the musical also asked me to make some denim accessories for the school bullies, so I made a few denim cuffs and collars with a bit of bling attached! Jeans waistbands for the cuffs, and seams for the collars!
I had a couple of other costumes to create for the school musical. One for Captain Vegemite. This one was easy as all I had to make was a cape, then add the superhero logo to that and the t-shirt.
The other costume was for "Wholemeal Kid". For this one I found a brown skirt and t-shirt in the charity shop at a grand total of $2! I adjusted these to a small kid's size, and added a logo, cape and a little bit of pink too!
Finally there were a few capes to decorate and make more 'super'. So my daughter and I spray painted some silver stars on them - again nice and simple.
I had lots of fun making these costumes, some fun school holiday sewing and creating. I can't wait to see them all up on stage when the musical opens in a few weeks time.
I shall be linking this post to many of the fabulous linky parties whose pretty buttons and direct links can be found on my linky party page.