Friday, August 17, 2012

Chair repair!

Yesterday I got around to fixing one of our camping chairs that broke a while ago...
Some parts had ripped, and the backing was starting to disintegrate and leave blue 'confetti' anywhere we set up the chairs!!'

Now these are really cheap chairs - you can buy them for just $7, but I hate the idea of throwing anything away that can be fixed.  We really do live in a throw-away society, where things aren't made to last, and our kids are growing up saying, 

"Oh well, not to worry, we can just buy a new one!" 

when something breaks. I think this fosters a lack of respect for 'things' and it really annoys me!

OK - so now I've had my mini rant, back to fixing up the chair!

I took it apart first, to see what I was working with and what was possible...

Basically the frame was fine - just the fabric that was ripped and the backing disintegrating!
So I just cut out a couple of pieces of thick corduroy fabric and pinned them over the backing to stop the 'shedding'!

Then I put a thicker denim needle on my machine to stitch it all into place - and also patched up any other ripped bits I could see.
Then simply fitted it back onto the frame!

One chair fixed!

And it even has a pretty backing now!

Our other 3 camping chairs aren't ripped, but are shedding the blue backing, so I think I'll add extra covering fabric to those too! Perhaps a different fabric for each one - personalise them a bit!

What have you fixed lately? - rather than throw away and buy a new one?

I shall be linking this project to many of the fabulous linky parties whose pretty buttons can be found on the bottom of this page, and whose direct links can also be found on my linky party page.


  1. Not only have you saved something going into landfill, you've jazzed up the chair. Great job, Jill!

  2. I hope I didn't throw my broken one away already! I have exactly the same problem. I hope you’ll link this up today (or anytime this weekend) at One Creative Weekend on I'm here from searching for your linky party! When I find it, I'll be linking up.

  3. I admire your willingness to fix rather than toss. Also, it is a clever way to personalize the chairs. Good job!

  4. Replies
    1. Hi Jessica

      If you have a pinterest account, you can get the 'pin it' icon for the toolbar on your computer. Then when you are on a webpage that you want to pin, just click on pin it!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !