Sunday, July 3, 2016

36 shares in 30 days - a 100% increase in social media stats!




From a month of consistent social media interaction, I've seen around a 100% increase in the majority of my social media statistics. I've gained new followers, a lot of knowledge and a much wider reach than before.



36 Shares in 30 Days

Social media - as the name suggests, it's all about being sociable. You can't really do it alone can you? which means interaction with other people and hey - we all need other people to come and see our blogs, share them with their friends and so help them grow!

Last month, I got together with a group of blogging friends to try a little experiment of sharing each others posts in a kind of organised and consistent manner to see what we can learn, do and grow using the resources we all have - those resources being our fabulous blog posts, already written, and social media platforms, already set up with followers just waiting to see, like and share some great content!

We each put forward 3 of our best posts, and I organised them into individual lists so that everyone had one or two posts to share across their social media sites each day throughout the month.
Everyone got involved with each others sites, liking, commenting, retweeting and pinning etc and our posts really got out there for plenty of people to see!






The Statistics
We've now completed our 36 shares in 30 days and I've been looking at my blog and social media statistics to see what's happened.



Twitter

Until last month, I didn't really use Twitter actively. All my blog posts and my Instagram posts were shared directly to Twitter with a click of a button and nothing more. I never browsed through my feed or did anything else with Twitter.
So in June, I decided to learn a bit more and actively use Twitter. This is what I did.

  • I shared posts manually
  • added photos 
  • shortened links using bitly 
  • did lots of liking and retweeting with the other participants
  • was on Twitter daily.



At the end of the month I looked at my Twitter statistics and found this:
Some impressive increases in stats there. And overall the change over the month:

I'm still not seeing any traffic to my blog from Twitter, but figure I've only really been 'using' it for a month now, so will keep on with it and see if it continues to grow.




Facebook

This is the social media platform I'm probably most comfortable with and use most.  Here's what I do on Facebook.

  • I'm generally on Facebook daily
  • I share a little of my life 
  • I share plenty of things I like that I find on other pages and other sites, a lot of sewing and upcycling which is what my blog is mainly about, but also fun and interesting things I find on other topics
  • I visited the other participants pages most days and liked and shared some of their posts.


Again here my stats have increased significantly.

Not everyone in the group experienced growth on Facebook - and for some, sharing posts that were different to the type they usually shared actually had a negative effect. For me, I treat my Facebook page as the social side of my 'work' - sewing and blogging, and so I share all manner of things, including pictures of my baking, garden and my running!  So my readers are used to and happy with a wide range of topics, I think that helped when sharing a variety of posts from different bloggers.

Facebook is one of the biggest referrers to my blog, so I will definitely be continuing to put plenty of time and effort into this - besides which, I really enjoy Facebook!



Pinterest

This is one place that I feel like I don't maximise my use of.  From all I read, there is the potential for much more traffic to come to my blog from Pinterest, if I can just figure out how to use it well.
Here's what I did with Pinterest in June.

  • I've pinned lots both from my site and others daily
  • I joined more and made much more use of group boards than I have before
  • I'm also trying to make my blog title photos more Pinterest friendly including going back through older popular posts and creating new images to pin using Canva (which gives you templates for the ideal size and shaped images to make for each social media platform).
  • I pinned everyone else's chosen posts to my own boards, group boards and a dedicated 36 shares in 30 days board.





As a result of all of this, again I've seen a lot of growth in my Pinterest stats, and this has then flowed on to be my most significant increase in traffic to my blog. I've also gained 700 followers on Pinterest over the month of June!


I know I still have a long way to go with Pinterest in terms of things to learn and try and again it's a platform I really enjoy spending time on so am happy to continue with my efforts here.




In summary

Aside from the list of posts to share in June, there were no strict guidelines to our project. Everyone shared on the social media sites they used and visited each others as often as we could, to like and comment. Sometimes days were missed, and others doubled up to compensate. 
I personally did not use any scheduling for my posts, but shared everything manually. 

For me - I think the key was consistency and having a genuine interest in my fellow bloggers and their sites and posts throughout the month.

Some of the increases I do believe are just from me spending much more time on my social media throughout June. Consistency was easier because I had a 'plan' and a schedule to stick to, and others relying on me,
 But with 11 other people sharing my posts, and interacting with me on my social media sites daily, this has to have been a big part of the increases too.


I'm grateful to my wonderful blogging friends who joined in this experiment, I think we've all gained a lot from it and hopefully will continue to help each other grow our blogs and social media sites.

I would also like to say that not everyone in the group saw the increases in stats that I did.  No one action is going to work for everyone. I've been blogging for years and have tried all kinds of tactics that I've seen and read about other people doing.  This is the first time I've seen a significant result from participating in a group blog project. Maybe it's because it originated with me, and suited my blogs and social media platforms and the way I use them.

The simple truth is you have to find what works for you, and it won't necessarily be the same things that work for someone else.  But each time you try something new, you will learn something and take another step towards your goal!



The next challenge

Now I need to continue to build on this base growth and see if I can continue it to greater heights. Without a fixed project for July, I'm creating my own personal plan to continue my social media growth. I'm also looking to have another 'blog growth project' for August to keep me accountable and encourage that consistency again.


The increases I've seen over the past few weeks in my numbers aren't a result of anything particularly difficult or complicated. If I were to advise others how to gain the increases I've seen, I would say that

 the more you put in the more you get out

and equally, if your interest and actions are genuine, the results will be even better!

I would love it if you followed me on any of my social media sites. Let me know if you do and I will happily follow you back!


I shall be linking this post to many of the fabulous linky parties whose pretty buttons and direct links can be found on my linky party page.






10 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to see you got some great results, Jill! It was a lot of fun - even though I didn't get posts out there to the extent that others did, I enjoyed the project tons and found some great new inspiration. Thank you for all the terrific efforts: creating, organizing and cheerleading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A neat idea to help each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips!

    I'd love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I'l pop on over and share!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Jill for sharing these great tips at Cooking and Crafting with J&J! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Peace, Love. Linkup! Hope to see you tomorrow at 6 for more sharing goodness : )

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !