Sunday, December 6, 2015

December 6th - some birdlife!

From 1-24th Dec I give to you my blog advent calendar.
Each day you can click on the numbered 'door' to 'open' it and find some Christmas upcycled/recycled goodness!
Enjoy!



--------------------------------------------------------

Today I wanted to show you some of the pretty birds that are in our garden just now - some nesting, some just enjoying the flowers!

A pair of willie wagtails have built a nest in our Secret Garden.



There are a pair of rainbow lorikeets enjoying the purple flowers on the same tree - they come each year!


This one I'm not sure what it is - but a pair have built a nest in the same tree.



And finally, we have a sunbird nest on the edge of our patio - and there are little chicks inside now!!




Do you get many birds in your backyard?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what great bird photos! I hope someone can id the mystery bird, it is beautiful. I'd never heard of a sunbird - what a cool critter he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich! Yes, I'd love to know what our mystery bird is too! The sunbirds are so adorable - the chicks are growing fast too, we can see their heads sticking out of the nest now!

      Delete
  2. How special to have the sunbird nest on your patio. Great photos, Jill. We have a lot of birds in our backyard. For the last 15 years, we've had a resident bower bird. Not sure if it's the same one or his offspring. His bower is in our garden and he's really tame, coming to within a metre of where I'm gardening. Yesterday and today we saw a heron walking around the garden. Hope it becomes a regular visitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we're very lucky with our sunbird nest Pam - it's providing lots of entertainment for us as we sit outside! And how lucky for you to have a bower bird!! That would be amazing!! I feel so lucky to be living in this beautiful country when I sit and watch all the bird life around our garden each day!

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying your advent calendar - a surprise every day! As far as birds go, we have lots of them here in our southern California backyard but none so colorful. The closest we come to the beautiful birds you have are our western bluebirds, western tanagers and orioles. To see some of your exotics we have to visit the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I looked up the birds you mentioned and they are so pretty too!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !