Sunday, January 4, 2015

I didn't throw it away!



A while ago Agy from Green Issues asked if I'd like to join in a blog train asking why we keep some things and throw other things away. So I had to find things that I've had for more than 20 years and tell the story behind them.

So here's what I found:

My dressmaking scissors - which used to be my Granny's scissors! These are well over 20 years old, but still going strong. I get them sharpened once a year and use them almost daily. It's nice to be using something that my Granny used and I often think of her when I sew.



Something else that belonged to my Granny - this food mixer!  Again definitely over 20 years old and still going strong. My daughters use this too when they cook - Again it's so nice to have something that 4 generations of my family has used!



This teddy I bought 34 years ago from Harrods in London for 5 pounds.  I called her Diana as that was the year that Prince Charles and Lady Diana got married.  She was my favourite teddy bear for so many years and  now lives with us here in Australia!



When I was about 8 years old, we went on a family camping holiday around Europe. One of the places we visited was Legoland in Denmark - such an amazing place and I have wonderful happy memories of our day there. I found this the other day and didn't know I still had it.  One of the things you could do in Legoland in the mock goldmining town was pan for gold. Once you'd found some gold, you took it along to get it made into a gold medal!  I can't believe I still have mine - but I'm glad I have as we're taking our girls to the Legoland in Malaysia in a couple of weeks time and it's kind of cool to be able to show them this from my visit when I was about their age!




 Finally I found this badge which I also didn't know I'd kept. It's from when I worked in Pizza Hut in Germany one summer! I'd always wanted to work in a restaurant and loved my time working there. Again this is just something that has a happy memory and is a fun thing to show to my kids.


I am very sentimental and that's why I've kept some things. I like to try and use what I have so it's nice that I have things that have been passed down through our family and are a real part of our lives now. Other things I've kept this long and have memories attached, I just couldn't get rid of them know!






This post is part of a blog train hosted by Agatha from Green Issues by Agy on "I Didn't Throw It Away".
We have become such a throw-away society, but there are some things in our households that we still keep. Why is that so? Perhaps this blog train can unlock the reasons behind it! Follow the daily posts on this blog train and read about the stories behind the things we have kept for many years and why we didn't throw them away.  

Tomorrow Erica from Recycled Fashion will be continuing this blog train. So don't forget to head on over and see what she has kept for over 20 years!

How about you? What have you kept for over 20 years and why?


12 comments:

  1. Wow - those scissors! My mother has the exact pair... and for as long as I can remember, they were off limits. She had me believing that if I EVER used them on paper, she'd know. Because I would have damaged them. She has them sharpened and they're still her primary fabric scissors (50+ years old?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! They are great scissors - I wonder how long they will continue to last. Mine are totally solid!

      Delete
  2. Lovely treasures, and it is great that they are still in use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your momentos Jill. Loved the sentiments. From Karen [RUDE GIRL] at http://ruderecord.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an interesting topic...And those that you share are 'real' treasure - I can feel so much love and memories just by looking at them...such a precious treasures with touching stories. After reading this post...I started to look around me and can easily find such type of treasure around my house...thanks for the post...it remind me to 'keep on' keeping my old treasures! Love - PC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PC! It was interesting to look at things in this way- I know everyone has special memories in little things!

      Delete
  5. I have those scissors too! When I was growing up for a while I lived with both my Mum and my Nan, we all had the same scissors so we had to add a little length of coloured wool to the handles to be able to tell them apart. Mine still have the coloured wool on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Julia! My girls both have the same pair of sewing scissors - I think I might use the wool idea to help them tell them apart!

      Delete
  6. I love that Pizza Hut badge; it's such a gem. As for that gold medal...I've never been to LegoLand but now I want to make my own gold medal!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Mira

    P.S.: I also joined the blog train, and this is my story (published on January 9) - http://www.fafafoom.com/didnt-throw-away-3-things-20-years-later/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mira! I'll pop over now and see what you didn't throw away!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !