Monday, September 29, 2014

Take a step back and review - 30 Lessons in Blogging



This month of blogging posts has taught me a lot about what I've learned; what I am and am not doing; and what I plan to do from now on.

Taking the time to work through and write down what I've learned in a methodical way has helped me understand it even more and put it all into perspective.

I've said before that I believe you need to be constantly learning to keep growing. I also believe that you have to also step back and try to reassess what is and isn't important for you now, what is and isn't working and what needs to change.


What I've learned

Throughout September I have posted twice every day on my blog. This is more than I've ever done before. I did it for myself .

My morning posts are part of my 100 day "Use What You've Got" challenge to make the most of my fabric and crafting stash, and also other areas of my life - my kids, the area we live in, recipes, kitchen gadgets, games etc.  This has pushed me to take action every day and has helped to get me into good habits which I will certainly continue (although not need the commitment of a daily post on my blog to keep me accoutable!).

My evening posts have been all about blogging.  This was a way to bring together and reflect upon what I've learned in 4 years of blogging. And to share that knowledge in the hope it might help others.  



More posts doesn't mean more pageviews

Despite posting a lot more than usual, this has not resulted in any more traffic to my blog than usual.  I'm not really surprised by this, I saw a few months ago when I almost stopped blogging that my stats didn't change much.  It's also a relief in a way as getting 2 posts out every day is quite a challenge at times!  Knowing that posting more often isn't what is going to grow my blog means I can spend my time more usefully elsewhere.



Learning from the statistics

I've learned that when you look at your blog stats isn't not just about page views and big numbers. It's about understanding what the numbers mean and figuring out how you can use that knowledge to grow the numbers yourself!

From what I've learned from my stats, I'm going to spend less time trying to create more content for my blog, and more time promoting the content I already have - largely through Pinterest and Google +, as I grow my community too.


Making money

From learning more about Google Adsense, I now understand what I'm looking at when I look at my stats regarding the income I'm earning on my blogs.  This has shown me that my logical step is to work more on my other two blogs  (Be Our Best and A Fitter and Healthier Me ) which although small now, appear to have more potential Google Adsense income than this blog!


I've also decided that I do need to have some kind of product to sell. Be this real creations I sew, or e-books I write.  Sales is something I've always shied away from, but it's time to get over this fear and learn!



How about you?

Have you taken a step back to reassess your blog lately?
What have you learned from your time blogging and how can you use this knowledge to improve and grow your blog now?


4 comments:

  1. Hey Jill,

    Just wanted to say thanks again for these posts about blogging. Unfortunately I have missed quite a few of them so I will have to come back a few times to catch up. Best of luck to you with all your blogging endeavors.

    Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for all the great tips Jill. I was all set recently to make the big jump over to Wordpress because I've been getting fewer and fewer visitors but in the end I decided that's not why I started my blog in the first place. I let go of the expectation that bigger is better so I can get sponsors. I want to go back to just having fun and being grateful even if I only reach and inspire a handful of people. I know that wasn't the intent of your series but it made me realize that I don't have time to pay attention to so many little moving pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! I think the most important thing about blogging is that you enjoy it. For me, I would love for my blog to be a viable 'job' with a decent income, but if it does so at the expense of my enjoyment, then that kind of takes away the point!! Good luck with your continued fun blogging!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !