Saturday, September 13, 2014

Going Off Topic With Posts - 30 Lessons in Blogging

It is important for your blog to have a focus. That was the first thing I wrote about in this blogging series (you can read that post here).  However - to blog about something that isn't 'on topic' for your blog?  Would you? Should you?

My experience

My blog is about sewing, upcycling and learning how to use those to gain success - so motivation and blogging posts too.  I try to post things that are relevant to the main theme of my blog - and add a few photos and comments here and there about what I've been up to.

I do think in blogging, it helps to share a little of who you are with your readers. If you have a 'blog' rather than a 'website' then it's more interactive and people like to know who the person behind the blog is.

It was only about a year ago that I finally started doing this. I added my picture to my profile and began to share more of what I was up to outside of blogging on Facebook, Instagram and also on the blog itself. Since then I really feel like I've connected with more people and that my blog is more 'me' than a separate entity (if that makes sense).

I used to be quite wary of posting things on the blog that were different. That was until a particular post last year. I shared a recipe for Cheesymite scrolls - an Australian recipe I make for my girls quite often for their school lunches. I was hesitant to share a recipe as that's not what my blog was about. However - when I saw how many people came and read the post, I was pleasantly surprised. 

I sometimes wonder what 'should' be posted where. For example should you just post articles and tutorials on topic on your blog, and use social media like Facebook and Twitter to share a little of your personal life?  In the end, I don't think there are any rules.  Your blog should have a focus, but it should also be more personal than just endless tutorials or facts and for that there has to be a variety.

Nowadays I do share the occasional recipe or post about places I've been or things I've done. It doesn't seem to harm my blog, on the contrary, I believe it has a positive effect.

How About You?

Do you share a little of your personal life on your blog?
Or do you think you should restrict that kind of thing to social media?


  1. I am in that dilema at the moment, my blog is not very focused but is more a making stuff blog. It doesn't feel very 'me' though... I think I will do more personal stuff. A x

    1. I think it has to be a conscious shift to make your blog about you because we get caught up in trying to please everyone with what we write. Once we relax and write what we WANT to, I think it's better for our blogs!

  2. Since your blog is about you, it's really upto you what you do about it. See the subject being 'you' here ;-) So when your life changes, your blog also changes ánd that means you'll lose some of your audience and gain a new audience. That shouldn't be a reason not to change or spice up your blog with new posts every now and then. My life changed a lot since I started my blog. I started a business, became an entrepreneur, started working as a fulltime journalist again (which fills up my days, not much time left for crochet) and travel is a HUGE part of the change. I try to indulge my readers with lots of yarn, crochet and sewing, but I hope that in time they'll embrase my travel too. And if not: well boohoo! ;-)

    1. Spot on Esther! Good for you posting about your travels too - I for one love reading about them and seeing the pictures!

  3. Thanks for sharing your perspective on what to post about!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !