Friday, September 5, 2014

Frequency of Posts - 30 Lessons in Blogging

There is no right or wrong answer as to how often you should post on your blog. Some people advocate posting often, some say less is more.  I say you need to find what suits you

A Regular Schedule

Whether you choose to post every day, or once a month, I do believe that a regular schedule is important if you want to build up a readership.  If you have posts coming out at a regular time then your readers will learn when to expect to hear from you - kind of like a favourite radio or TV show.

If you have a variety of posts, then it's also good to have the same kind of posts at the same times or on the same days each week. For example I have my linky party as a regular Monday post that always goes out at 7am Cairns time. 
I've also added a spotlight post for features from the linky on Saturdays, again at 7am Cairns time.

Quality not Quantity

However often you choose to post, it is always important to make sure your posts are of a good quality.  There is no point in rushing out a quick post with no value other than filling in a 'scheduled post'  . I've fallen into that trap myself a few times, but have always regretted it. 
Poor quality posts will not encourage people to return again, no matter how often you write them!

Last year's surprise

Towards the end of last year I took a bit of a blogging break. I'd reached a plateau with the growth so needed to take a step back to re-evaluate what I was doing.  I virtually stopped blogging for a few weeks, except for my weekly linky party. To my surprise, my pageviews did not decrease at all - there was no change!  
It made me realise that my content was becoming a little stale. All of my traffic was coming from content already on my blogs - mostly the tutorials.  It made me feel like continuing to write new posts was a waste of time as nobody was reading them. 

I was quite disheartened by this as I always put a lot of time and effort into my blog but I needed to see what wasn't working in order to make changes.
Basically I'd lost heart in what I was doing and this had reflected in the content I was producing for my blog.

This experience reinforced the idea that I've read and heard a lot.  You should blog about things that interest you and you are passionate about. That interest and passion will come out in your writing and that is what makes people want to read more.

What I'm doing now

Currently I've challenged myself to 100 days of posting and 'using what I've got'. I want the posts to ALL be of value and be proud of them all.  I also wanted to take a good look at my blog - what I like and enjoy, use and promote the resources I've already created and focus more.
This is a challenge for me, and within the first week I did actually fall into the trap of sewing something for the sake of a post, rather than because I wanted it!   However, mistakes are how we learn, and this challenge has forced me to find the time to concentrate on what I'm posting and to really make use and value out of the resources I have. 

For this month, I am posting twice a day - which yes, is an even bigger challenge for me, but I wanted to make use of my creative posts in the morning, and then my blogging knowledge in the evening - developing both sets of resources on my blog.

Working from home, for myself trying to build my blog as a business, I wanted to push myself to work to a schedule as I would in a regular paid job for someone else.  In other words, if I want to make an income from my blog then I have to....

 "stop seeing my blog as a hobby and try to see it as a job"

There is no reason that my hobby can't be my job. Of course I still want to enjoy what I do, but looking at it in a different way is making me focus on good quality posts and the topics a little more.

After the 100 days, I don't know how often I will be posting. I will develop a routine that feels right for me and has the right balance of content that I enjoy producing.
This is something I will constantly evaluate and check to see what is and isn't working.

How about you?

So how often do you post?
Do you post to a schedule?
Do you think it matters?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, experiences and ideas!


  1. I've gotten in a rut myself, and have found the same thing...stale content, visitors for past posts. ;) So I've given myself a break (at least temporarily) from trying to post M thru F to favor quality over quantity.

    1. Good for you Crystal! I found my break - (which went from one month to around 3 months) made a huge difference and I came back refreshed and much more focussed! Enjoy your break!

  2. this is the very reason I haven't started a blog. I have lots of different subjects I'm interested in, and even passionate about, but don't think I could do a blog because of the random way that I think. I'd never be on subject. LOL thanks for the super post.

    1. You could always start a 'random' blog and write about different things for each post. People might enjoy the variety!

    2. Mine is just for me at the moment. It is very random! I have thought of doing more but wonder if everyone else would just think I'm boring, LOL!

    3. I think it's important to write a blog about something that interests you and that you are passionate about, NOT try to write for someone else. You will always find other people out there who share your interests!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !