Thursday, September 11, 2014

Blogger Vs Wordpress - 30 Lessons in Blogging


My blog - as you can see, is with  Blogger. I've been very happy with this for the past 4 years, but read a lot about how you should have a Wordpress blog because then you aren't at the mercy of Google, and it's far more flexible in what you can do with it.

Last year, I took up an offer for creating a Wordpress site with free hosting for a year, just so I could see for myself what the differences are.


My experience with Wordpress

At first I was overwhelmed with Wordpress. Blogger is very simple to use for a beginner. There are templates there to use and you can pretty much set one up and start typing your posts.
I felt that with Wordpress, you had to learn to do much more yourself and I spent a lot of time Googling how to set up even the most basic things.  Nothing was too difficult, but I guess Blogger holds your hand a little bit more in terms of setting up.

Once I was set up, then things became much easier.
I tried to take time to explore the Wordpress themes and possibilities with my new free blog so I could make a more informed decision as to whether it was worth me making the switch from Blogger that so many people were suggesting.

There were a lot of fancy layouts and templates for Wordpress, but I did feel that for what I want from my blog, I was equally happy with the options provided by Blogger.

I also think that as with most things, if there is something you really like and want to do, then there is a way to do it.

One of the templates I tried on Wordpress had a responsive slider. Pictures scrolling through that you could click on to take you to linked pages in the blog. I really liked this, and so searched for how to put one on Blogger. I found how to do it and added one to my Blogger blog.  I've since removed it so I can't show you it now, but I may yet add one again in the sidebar as it was relatively easy to do.The point was I could do the same with Blogger as with Wordpress.


Overall, I found it interesting to explore Wordpress, but at the end of my year's free trial I didn't renew.  I didn't find anything on Wordpress that I want but can't do on Blogger. So as yet, I see no reason to start paying for something that I currently get for free!



Personal taste

In the end, I think it's down to personal taste.  I know there are so many articles out there that say if you're serious about making your blog a successful business then you must be on Wordpress with paid hosting and a paid blog url.  
Honestly that kind of thing makes me want to prove that it can be done on Blogger. It makes me think of the post I wrote, 



How about you?

Are you with Blogger or Wordpress?
Are you with the same one you started with or have you switched?
Which do you think is 'best'? and why?
What works for you?


4 comments:

  1. Also had the free hosting thing, but I turned back to blogger after only a few months as I found wordpress to be way too finicky and really, my time of raising babies ended many years ago {that's how I see wordpress - a baby needing constant watching and pampering!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda - Blogger is so much simpler to use. Wordpress requires lots of learning which adds a lot of time to your blogging schedule!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your post. I use Blogger and often feel I should be changing to WordPress. I don't want to spend hours trying to learn each thing I want to do. I'm happy with Blogger and it's nice to hear that others are too.

    The only thing I cannot figure out how to do is the Connect with me little icon buttons. If anyone knows of a simple tutorial or I might even be willing to pay someone to do it at this point even though I don't blog for profit. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee, Thanks for your comment. Here's the link to a lovely clear tutorial for those 'connect with me icon buttons': How to add Social Media Icons to your blog . Hope that helps!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !