Monday, August 18, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop

A couple of weeks ago I was asked by Agy from 
if I'd like to participate in a Writing Process Blog Hop. 
I find it's always good to answer questions about my blog -  what and why I'm doing them, as it helps keep me focussed!  If you'd like to read Agy's answers to the blog hop questions, you can find them here.

And here's my answers to the Writing Process questions...

What am I working on?

At the moment I'm into my 100 day "Use What You've Got" challenge. It's basically me trying to use my enormous stash of fabric and all sorts of other things for sewing projects. But it's also more than just sewing - I'm trying to make use of things in all areas of my life - those kitchen appliances that just stay in the cupboard gathering dust, recipes I've kept from magazines but never tried, and board games we rarely play with our girls. I've always tried to upcycle and recycle where I can - if I can make something rather than buy it, I will.    

And why 100 days? 
Well I'm also doing the #100happydays challenge, where I have to take and post a picture each day of something that makes me happy. I'm doing this through Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. (Making full use of my social media accounts!! He He!)
I'm finding that this is always a great way to focus and stay positive! Since it's supposed to take 21 days to form a habit, by the end of the 100 days, I should well and truly be in a routine of getting things done and using what I've got!

More specifically this week in particular, I've decided to tackle my stash of shorts - ones that no longer fit, or are worn or torn! There's no point in me keeping them if I'm not going to do anything with them!
There are plenty of ideas to inspire me on my 

How does my work differ from others in its genre?
My blog is largely about sewing and clothes upcycling. I have now produced over 100 free sewing tutorials for all levels and sewing abilities; and have an ongoing linky party of 550+ clothes upcycling projects.  But how is this different from other sewing blogs?

 I try to motivate people to 'have a go' - sewing with old clothes is a great way to get started if you're not confident because if you make mistakes and stuff up - then it doesn't matter - you haven't ruined some beautiful expensive fabric you've just bought!  

I'm also all for sewing and crafting with whatever you have on hand - from car windscreen shades to old net curtains.  

I believe that to try sewing and crafting, you don't need to have special or fancy equipment, or fancy skills. It's all about having a go, learning and having fun.

Why do I write what I do?
I write my blogs as a creative outlet to share what I do with like-minded people. I'm also a teacher, so I love helping others by sharing what I learn. It's the best feeling when someone emails to say they used my tutorial to make gifts for friends;  things to sell for charity or fundraising; or even to help them teach sewing classes.  It's like being a teacher with the world as my classroom.

How does my writing process work?
Currently with my 100 day challenge, I'm posting every day. It's getting me into the habit of looking at what I'm using and helping me make the most of everything in life. I have certain regular posts that I put out each week, but I find that once I'm working on a project, I get all sorts of ideas for other ones which I jot down and keep lists of.  I have so many ideas and things I want to try out, that there's often no logical process to it - just going with the flow of what interests me at the time - or what needs doing most!


Writing Process Blog Hop

This Writing Process Blog Hop is a travelling blog tour that takes place on Mondays. 

Next in the blog hop: is Pam from Threading My Way. Pam's blog also has heaps of great sewing tutorials - and she also has a whole range of on-going themed linky parties that you can add all your sewing projects too.

Next Monday, Pam will be sharing her writing process with us. 


  1. Love your idea of the #100happydays challenge. Negative thoughts go away!!

    1. Thanks Agy! I'm really enjoying the happy days thing!

  2. You are such an inspirational blogger, Jill. Both you and Agy have some amazing ideas for reusing pre-loved clothes. Posting every day for 100 days - that's some challenge, but I know you'll achieve your goal. Thanks for asking me to continue the blog hop.

    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Pam! I'm looking forward to reading your answers too!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !