Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Success - A BIG achievement!

6 years ago when I started running, I couldn't even make it 500m to the corner shop.  Two days ago, I won my first medal in a trail run - getting third place in a tough 11km race.  I was so excited that I wore that medal around my neck all day!

Why running?

When I started running it was to get my fitness back after having kids. I enjoy running and my husband and I have entered several runs over the past few years as targets to train for. We enjoy competing in these events together and have found that we particularly like the trail runs for the beautiful scenery and the variety in the running.  

Our first run was up a local mountain - and we finished..... last. But our family and friends all came to watch and support us, and it was such a great feeling to complete the race that we've never looked back.  After running for 4 years, I realised that I was improving and with a bit of hard work and training I might get in the top places in some runs.

Way out of my comfort zone

I would never have imagined myself running off into the bush with my snake bandage and whistle for safety, knowing that there are leeches, wild pigs, endless bugs and plants that try to grab you out there. I grew up in the North of England, and never had to worry about all the bugs and scary things that live up here in the tropics. But pushing myself out of my comfort zone has been rewarding,  helped me to grow as a person, and realise things are rarely as scary as they might at first seem. 
It has also made me see just what I can do and achieve if I put my mind to it.

My first race 'place'

So - last weekend's race was my first breakthrough into the top 3 places. It gave me such a thrill to have achieved my goal knowing that I did it myself through consistent training and hard work.  
It has given me renewed hope in all areas of my life and for all goals I set that I can achieve anything I set my mind to! Particularly when I look back to where I started from.
I fully intend to add to my race medal collection in the coming months and years!

The Knock-on effect

With my running success has come a renewed burst of energy to achieve success in other areas.

For my blog - March was a great month too. I've been getting back to some sewing after a bit of a break over Christmas and New Year, and have produced a couple of new upcycle tutorials:

I also have another upcycle tutorial coming out tomorrow - so watch this space!

This is part of a larger project I'm working on where I'm focussing even more on upcycling and ways to be more environment friendly!  This started out as my 'March' project, but has grown into something that is going take a little longer!  Again - watch this space!

I also continued with more freelance writing work through March. I've done more copy-writing work and a few more articles. I'm also on a short-list for an ongoing writing job for another blog which I'm very excited about and have everything crossed for that!

One site I've written 3 articles for now is Wind . A new environmental website. Since this is a topic I'm extremely interested in, I shall be writing lots more for this site in April.  You can submit as many articles as you like - but only the top 2 each day get paid. So far 2 out my 3 were 'top articles' !!
I matched my earnings for February, earning another $160 in March for my work, plus a lot learned too.

Overall I'm feeling very positive now about my progress and small achievements. I'm fired up and motivated to work harder and achieve even more and greater success!

The first quarter of 2014 has been great - the next one is going to be even better!

How is your year going so far? Have you achieved any of your small goals so far - are you working well towards success you want in your life?

Tell me in the comments - let's support each other in our endeavours. I know support and encouragement from my friends and family is a HUGE part of what helps me achieve my goals and reach my targets.


  1. Congratulations on your run! What an accomplishment.

    2014 is off to a good start for me. My craft blog, The Chilly Dog , is growing by leaps and bounds. (I had as many page views in the last three months as I did in all of 2013. Yay!) I realize that much of that growth has come from the help and support of other blogs and web sites who have featured my projects. So, I decided to start a second blog, Create Happy Crafts , where I can promote and share cool craft projects, patterns, tips and tutorials by other bloggers.

    Wishing you the best on your freelance work. And I love the new slider on the top of your page :)

    1. Thanks so much Ellen! Sounds like your blog is going really well! Congrats! Your blog looks great - love the background picture. Create Happy Crafts looks brilliant too - great graphics and design! Keep up the great work, and I'm sure your blogs will continue to grow! :)

  2. Hey Jill, congratulations!!!!! You rock! 11k. Wow... Hope you are not tricking me!

    1. Thanks so much Rose! No tricks! I'm still amazed myself - 2 days on and I haven't come off that high yet!

  3. you rock Jill that's an amazing achievement, I have put on quite a bit of weight in the last 4 years having my youngest two and am trying to do something about it. I have a goal to do the queenscliff to Ocean Grove run in Jan next year and have started doing working towards it. I wouldn't take the medal off :)

    1. Thanks so much Mel! I put on lots of weight with my kids and it took me a while to work it off! Once I started exercising and seeing a difference though it got easier and easier!!
      Good luck with your training!! :)

  4. What great stuff you have packed into a short time! Ten zillion contrats on the place!!! I have my fingers crossed for your writing short list.

    1. Thanks Mich! Didn't make it for that job unfortunately, but I learnt a lot from the application process and it's inspired me for other things - so all good!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !