Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, new start 2014

Happy New Year to all!
I hope 2014 has started well for you all.

I'm still enjoying my holiday, with another week to go before getting back to my work plan for the year.

My overall plan for the year, which I'll blog more about when I get into things, is

Use What I've Got

I spent the last few weeks of 2013 having a major clear out and sort in our house, and have started the year with a much less cluttered and tidy house.  I've had a wonderful start to 2014, feeling like I have more time, I feel more in control and everything has a place. What a difference!!

But with my plan for the year in mind.. today, I was cutting up this watermelon that we got free from the local market this week when we did our fruit and veg shopping. Now 2 out of 4 of us in our house don't like watermelon, and so this whole chunk isn't going to be eaten very quickly. So I Googled what to do - and found you can cube it, remove the seeds and freeze it, in flat layers in ziplock bags to use over the coming weeks in drinks, or even just to eat cubes frozen from the freezer ! Apparently that tastes good, and they defrost really quickly, but are refreshing like that!

In summer here in the tropics, fruit goes off very quickly, so there are times when our compost bin gets more than it's fair share of the oversupply of fruit!

I'm determined this year to get into the habit of using everything we have, and not wasting a thing! Hence freezing the watermelon

I also learnt from Mr Google too that we can do the same with pineapple - chunk, bag and freeze.  Since we have lots of pineapples in our garden, all ripening at the same time, I may have to do that with some of those too - although they do get eaten quite quickly!! YUMMY!!

But I digress.  My plan for this year involves more sewing, more upcycling, more blogging and some new things too. But all involves using what I've got!

Give me another week and I'll explain more fully what I'm up to and start to share my progress.

Until then, the usual Round Tuit will be out on Monday and a few other small posts next week too, just to keep things ticking over until the real fun for the year starts!!

Hope you're all well.
I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone's blogs and what you've all been up to soon.  I feel quite out of touch thanks to my break - but much refreshed and the break was definitely what I needed, although unexpected and unplanned!

I'll be back soon!
Hugs and sunshine to you all from Cairns.


  1. Happy New Year Jill, wishing you all the best in 2014-enjoy:@)

    1. Thanks Lynn! And wishing you the same!! :)


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !