Monday, January 20, 2014

Blogging learning and my new 2014 focus

Ok after a lovely summer holiday, taking time away from blogging and figuring out what to do, my ideas have come together and I know where I'm at and where I'm going.

What I've got

I have 3 blogs - this one, Be Our Best and Fit and Healthy Me.
The challenge will be to use these 3 blogs effectively.

Until now, this blog has been my main focus and that is what I've put A LOT of time into. Last year it was growing and growing and half way through the year I was very positive about it. Then I continued doing the same thing for the second half of the year, but began to lose heart when my visitors and stats started to drop and continued to do so over the second half of the year, despite all the time, and effort I was putting into the blog.

Blogging is still something I love doing but I need to shake it up and refocus. I'm going to be spending less time on my blogs - but the time I do spend will be more planned and focussed.

What I'm going to do with it

In terms of blogging itself, what I'm going to commit to this year is
 learning regularly. For the next few months, I'll be taking a hour a day (on weekdays) so I can really get my teeth into it and make the most of my free Wordpress site (Fit and Healthy Me)  I originally set this blog up as a way of learning, but haven't made the most of that opportunity, and I only have 8 months left of my free hosting so need to make the most of that.

Again, this is part of my overall plan for the year to..

Use What I've Got

So this year, I'm trying to blog smarter!

I'm going to..

 blog about what I'm doing, 

rather than 

doing things to blog about. 

It means that my Creative blog will be a bit more varied - I'll still be sewing, but, each month this year I'm going to be focussing on a different topic - making us of what I already have! 

January (although it's nearly over now) is making a start on using up my fabric stash. My stash is so large, that this is a long term project.  I'm just going to get into the habit of making something each week and I'll use these things to stock my new Madeit shop (opening soon) and also for the usual birthday gifts.  This gives me a way to keep on sewing (which I love) without it being the main thing I do. 

Starting with sewing is also the easiest thing for me to do while my girls are still on holiday, and I plan to get them involved too!

Other things I'm going to be 'making more use of' are:

writing skills

 teaching and parenting skills

 kitchen, food, recipe books and cooking gadgets!

other crafts - crochet, upcycling, recycling, etc


the garden

Let's get started!

So there you have it, my plan for 2014.

Not a radical change, but more 'useful' I think.

I've started this year well with 

'using what I've got'

Making the most of everything.

The school summer holidays are drawing to a close - so my time is building up and I'm making the most of that too!

I hope you'll continue to stop by and see what I get up go this year!


  1. You sound very focused Jill. Looking forward to reading your blog through the year.

  2. Wow! Blog about what I am doing rather than doing things to blog about. That's very powerful and I think I may incorporate the idea into my own 2014 plan.

    1. I agree, very powerful sentence which has stuck with me:) Thanks for this post:)

  3. Thank you so much for writing this post , this year I have been thinking about what blogging means to me and I have been feeling that it is time for me to re- think how I use my blogs. In the early days of my blogging life, I use to get caught up with what people were sewing/crafting and what was trending and at times did not post at all, now I write about what I am interested in or what I want to get out there across all three of my blogs. Thank you for a really inspiring powerful post, “blog about what I'm doing, rather than doing things to blog about” LoveIt!

    Thank you again!


  4. Thank you for sharing the lovely photo. We have snow on the ground here in Denver. Good luck with all your blogging plans and new years focus. You have inspired me to give some thought to my own 2014 plans. Usually I spend a lot of time at the new year thinking about resolutions etc. But this year I didn't do it. I guess I still can. Right? Better late than never.

    Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab

    1. Thanks Cindy! Hope you've made some plans for the year now!! :)


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !