Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Stepping back...a little

I've been struggling a little bit with my blogs lately, in the sense that I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

I run my blogs because I enjoy them, but also with a view to making them a profitable form of income for our family.

After putting a lot of time and effort into my blogs this year, they haven't really shown enough growth and return for me to justify such a continued amount of time and effort.

I have now produced and made available on this blog 


a great resource for everyone to use - including myself.

I think it's just time for a new direction and a fresh approach to what I'm trying to achieve in life.

I'm still going to continue with my blogging, but just not putting all my time and efforts into them.  
It's important when you assess your progress to see what's not working, and right now, what I'm doing isn't working.

I'll continue to run my weekly linky party, and I'll still be doing lots more upcycling and posting about that. When I do make something new - I will still add the tutorials.  So really all that is going to change is the frequency of my posts, I will no longer post daily, maybe just 2 or 3 times a week.


I'm also looking at starting to make things to sell again. I did this for a while at a local market here in Cairns. This time I'm going to look at Madeit and Etsy as my platforms.  I also have an idea to get my girls looking at Junior Madeit - and they can learn with me!


Having made this decision, I do feel like a weight has been lifted.  Slowly, my blogging was becoming a chore as I saw less and less return for my efforts in terms of falling page views and fewer of my tutorials being featured on the larger sites that had previously featured lots of my work. Lately I've also had a couple of photos accepted by craftgawker which made me really excited, but didn't then bring me any traffic. In the past, a feature on craftgawker would result in a huge traffic spike to my blog.

Really I think it boils down to 'time for a change'.

I have such a large fabric stash, that I'm looking forward to using it up and hopefully selling on some of the things I make with it. This will help with my current project of de-cluttering and clearing out my house.

I'm also going to be looking at work as a freelance writer. Since I already write daily for my blogs, I figured that's the next logical step for me. The idea is that I will see a more immediate return for my work if I'm writing for someone else in a paid capacity! It's also still something I can do from home in my own time.

I may even look at e-publishing some books I have written!

As I said, I'm not stopping blogging, just cutting back on the time I'm spending on them, doing some other things to produce and income that in turn will allow me to continue growing my blogs in the background for now.

Over the next few weeks until the end of the year, I'm clearing, sorting, upcycling, sewing, brushing up my resume, and planning my Etsy and Madeit stores and what to make to sell in the fresh new year.

I do hope you'll continue to stop by my blog and see what I'm up to. Of course this new direction, will mean I have more adventures to blog about ..Ha..Ha....!!

Watch this space!!

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new direction! I totally understand the choice since blogging can totally take your time away from real life and not be super profitable. If it's not fun/worth it, don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I'm looking forward to just getting back to fun blogging and not feeling the pressure of having to get a post out!

      Delete
  2. I can understand as well...I know it can be a chore to blog too! Good luck with your new direction...I'll still be watching for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya girl, it is Hard WORK! You gotta do what you gotta do. Just a thought too. I sell on ebay and etsy. I find etsy is just way to competitive, and I sell double on ebay than I do on etsy. This will bring you some extra dough for the holidays!
    If you need any ebay mentoring, just holla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie - I'll definitely take a look at selling on Etsy and will be asking you for advice for sure! Thanks for the offer!

      Delete
  4. I am amazed that people find the time to blog daily - once a week is enough for me! Well done for all you have achieved:) but also for taking the time to reflect and work out the best next step for you - freelance writing sounds a great step:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky. It's not a huge change, but feels good to be looking at something fresh!

      Delete
  5. Earning a living from a blog is nearly impossible, unless you have a really special niche. I've followed a special blogging course and even after that and seeing all the money-earning possibilities it shows that if you want to earn a living as a blogger, you better treat it as a fulltime job. And lets be honest, not many of us started blogging because we want to spend 40 hours a week doing so.

    Anyway, selling things and blogging... sounds much healthier to me! And more fun to do.

    Have a great week,
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther,

      I know it's REALLY hard to earn a living from blogging, but I hate to give up on things. I'm excited to go in a fresh direction, but not give up on blogging at the same time, just step back for a while and see where it takes me!
      Thanks as always for your support!!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you'll still be continuing your blog, Jill. Blogging every day is a lot to maintain if you want balance. All the best with the new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill, my bloggy friend!!!! I understand what you're talking about! I always enjoy your posts and your tutorials and I will continue enjoying your adventures. I am also studying the possibility of opening a Etsy shop, for some time I think about it and I have to take the initiative. But I like to read, inform me and prepare all the things for the big day. It is a way to sell things done for us, and I'm interested :)
    Jill, I wish you luck in the new path you take, everything we do, leads us somewhere and all you have devoted to your blog, it will be useful from now, that's for sure!
    Have a beautiful day!!!!
    Marisa from http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa as always for your support!

      Delete
  8. I truly hope you'll find your way to live, earn and blog, all together!
    Please don't leave us without you, your work is great and really inspiring for me :)
    Good luck, Jill, for your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your honesty is refreshing and I have followed your journey with interest for a long time. Best of luck and I hope to hear of your progress in other pursuits. I put an ad on Gumtree and sew custom cushion covers for people. They supply everything and I just do the sewing. It's an easy way to earn some extra money on the side. It's just finding your niche and what fits with your life at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! Sounds like a great little niche you've found with those cushion covers!

      Delete
  10. I heartily, definitely approve!!! So glad you will keep blogging, but mix it up. The good thing about that is, your blog posts can lead people to your shop or other ventures. With your maker's talents, I know you'll create amazing things for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - you are always so great at supporting and encouraging!! I really do appreciate all of your lovely comments!!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !