Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Learning Wordpress through videos

Continuing with my Wordpress learning, I've signed up for updates from a site full of free info and tutorials:

One of the first things the newsletter directed me to was the video tutorials they have available to learn with.
I have to admit that when I first looked at the list I thought I'd skip the first few. After blogging for 3 years on Blogger, I figured I had the basics. But once I looked at one of the later videos, I realised that I need to start back at square one and learn properly - not assume I know things as there is always more to learn, and little tips and icons to click on that I don't know.

So back I went to the basic - how to create a post.
These videos are great. Nice and clear and done with the dashboard and sample screen shown so you can easily see what they are talking about and clicking on.

I'm going to slowly work my way through all of these videos, writing posts after each one to try out what I learned.

The first video I watched was about how to embed videos - so I tried that here.  I used Quickpress to the right on the dashboard to embed this - by simply copying and pasting the web url of the video into the body of the email. Wordpress then does the embedding resizing and centering all for me!  What an easy way to share videos and photos in really quick and easy posts! Love this!

I also wanted to try out another thing I learned from the Create a New Post video. This was how to show only part of a bigger post on the screen and the reader can choose to click through to the rest of the post if they are interested!

This was as simple as clicking on one icon on the editing bar above where you write the post to insert the break!  You can see this in the post I wrote about hydration and exercise by going to my blog's main page here.

This week I'm feeling much happier about learning Wordpress. I think I just needed a structured method of learning to start with  - going back to basics and not trying to transfer my blogger knowledge across so much as that doesn't seem to work!

So if you're interested in learning about how to use Wordpress,  then I would definitely recommend this website - especially since all the info is provided for free!


  1. Thanks for the info Jill, I just made the switch to WP over the weekend and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Deby from Moms Make Money helped m make the move and she has some great tutorial videos up on You Tube, here's the link if you want to check them out. http://www.youtube.com/user/DebyAtSoSewEasy

    1. Thanks for the link Maria - I'll certainly check it out - I need all the help I can get!

  2. Thanks for this, having just moved to wordpress.org any tips are helpful:) Hoping I will find some tips on banners, and icon squares:) Vicky

    1. Good luck Vicky - I'll post about it if I find info on those!

    2. Vicky & Jill
      You can take advantage of this resources too: http://www.shoutmeloud.com/wordpress-guide

    3. Thanks Harsh! Will check it out!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !