Saturday, September 21, 2013

Shoes Upcycling


What do you do with your old footwear?
Some, especially kids shoes (or certainly my kids' shoes) get so worn that they have to be binned, with holes all the way through the soles, bits falling off and laces snapped.  

But there's always those they grow out of before they destroy - or shoes that you bought when you liked them, and fashions and tastes have changed.
So how can they be upcycled?

Well for old boots - you could always use them as a funky planter..


The only shoes upcycling I've done so far was a few years ago, turning an old pair of my daughter's flip flops that had faded, into frilly pink princess shoes!


I've seen lots of flip flops jazzed up with fabric and other decorations - like these cute ones from A Creative Princess:


This great tutorial from The Crafty Blog Stalker shoes you how to simply replace the plastic 'strap' of the flip flop with funky fabric for a simple refashion:


Or there's these watermelon shoes made from plain white tennis shoes by Three Dawg Lady Designs:

Or if you're starting to think about Christmas - how about this Christmas Centrepiece made from old kids gumboots by Mellywood's Mansion:


Then there is the ingenious idea of using paper mache to transform shoes like Cindy from Upcycled Design Lab Blog did - note also the can pull tab 'buckle' on the new version!! I love it!

How have you revamped or upcycled your old shoes?

For some more ideas for upcycling or refashioning your shoes - check out my Pinterest Board.

And if you have your own shoe upcycle or refashion projects please do add them to the long term linky below!

Ideas for upcycling other clothing items can be found on this page.
I'm exploring ways to upcycle a different item each week! So do come back each week to see some great idea and get some inspiration for your own projects!

Happy Upcycling!


6 comments:

  1. Much cuteness! I love the first one, cool planter boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great Michelle? I've a pair of old hiking books I'd love to plant something in - but my problem is my lack of any gardening skills! The only think I can get to grow well is pineapples - and my boots are a tad small for that... :)

      Delete
  2. Seeing this post inspired me to write about a boot refashion I did a couple of weeks ago. I've added my link above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan - I just popped over to see - great refashion!

      Delete
  3. Great page :) I have lots of ideas planned for all my boring shoes this year ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clairejustine! Do link up your projects here when you revamp those shoes! I'd love to see what you come up with!

      Delete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !