Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Shaped eggs - something a little different!

What's this?  Can you tell?
It's a hard boiled egg, moulded into the shape of a car!!
Cute hey!

I first heard of egg mold at the beginning of last year, when My Busy Craft Life linked up her Bento Car Egg to my Round Tuit linky party. I thought they were such a neat idea!

As you can see, her's looks a little more like a car than mine..

I think perhaps my eggs were a little small for the molds I had.

I got two molds last week:

One for a car and another for a fish.  
My kids were really excited to see me try these out and so I boiled them each an egg for their lunches yesterday.

All you do to use the mold is: when the egg is hard boiled, peel off the shell..

Pop it in the mold..

Click it shut, then leave it in the fridge overnight.

Here's how the fish turned out:
Not too exciting, but as I said, I think I need to use bigger eggs next time.

My kids thought they were cool anyway - and considering one of them won't normally eat plain boiled eggs, I figure it's worth squishing them into a fancy shape!!

Have you tried egg molds before?

Disclosure: I received the egg molds from Wholeport in return for mentioning my use of them on my blog. The opinion expressed is mine entirely.


  1. Hi Jill! This is great, I was just trying to find the linky party when I read this post! Well done on the shaped egg, it looks better than my first one did. That plus I really burnt my hand trying to peel a warm egg... Glad to know am not the only geeky person here (although you probably dont make these for yourself hihi)

    1. Thanks MJ! I would have loved a shaped egg for my lunch too, but I only have 2 molds...and 2 kids!

  2. I really struggled with these egg molds. Super cute, but I felt like I was doing something wrong. I ended up selling them and a bunch of other bento supplies to someone.

    1. That's a shame about your egg molds Diana. I'm going to persist with mine. I think I maybe cooled them too much before peeling them. I'll try them a bit hotter next time!

  3. Thats fantastic! Maybe this will get my middle two to eat eggs..

    1. Thanks Mel - they are so cute! I asked my girls at the end of the day how they tasted - both declared shaped eggs yummy!!!

  4. This is really amazing, Jill!!! I had never seen anything like that! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !