Thursday, September 19, 2013

Learning about Wordpress - my new blog

Whenever I read about how to succeed in blogging, one thing is quite consistent in almost everything I read, and that is that you should have a self-hosted blog and use Wordpress. 

Now, I've been with Blogger for several years now but when I first read this a couple of years ago, I looked up Wordpress and set up my own blog there intending to learn about 'the other option'. However, when I learned that I'd signed up with 'the wrong Wordpress' I kind of lost interest.  I'd gone with the free hosting service of, instead of the one that everyone was recommending which was!  Well - I think that's an easy mistake to make don't you?

Anyway, that idea was put on the back burner until a few months ago I saw a free blogging course that Blogelina was running, which gave you a year's free hosting for a website with GoDaddy, and help setting up your blog with .   So I decided to use this opportunity to finally set up a 'real' Wordpress blog and learn all about 'the other side'!

I followed the great instructions provided by Blogelina to set up my blog, choose my domain name and get up and running.  It's taking a little while to get used to posting on Wordpress as against Blogger.  So far Blogger is easier in terms of writing and editing posts - I'm still struggling with adding photos to my posts in Wordpress and getting them to stay where I want them!

Initially I've just used my new blog (Fit and Healthy Me) as a place to record my workout programmes, so I can get comfortable with the layout and workings.  After a week of posting, but not telling anyone about my blog - I started to get hundreds of spam comments!  I Googled this problem and found that I needed to install a spam filter plug-in.  So I found "Akismet" and signed up for an account with them, activated it (all free) and instantly the spam comments stopped! Phew!

So far I've managed to post, add some things to my sidebar and add that one spam filter plug-in. Now I've got it up and running with the basics, it's time to start learning!

I'm going to keep using it as a record of my workouts and what I'm learning about fitness and health. Over the past few years I've been keeping fit and trying out different forms of exercise. Just recently I've focussed more and found that I want to take it all a bit further and not just 'keep fit' but get really fit and healthy and understand the hows and whys of it all! So this seemed to be a good theme for a new test blog!

I'm very comfortable and happy with Blogger, having used it for several years now. But it's always important to keep learning and expand your horizons!

If anyone has ANY hints, tips or recommendations of plug-ins etc for a Wordpress blog, I'd love to hear them, so please do leave me comments!

And if you want to check out my new blog, it's:

Fit and Healthy Me

I would love any and all feedback - good and bad. My aim is to learn!!


  1. I look forward to hearing about the learning curve...p.s. I had no idea there was .com versus .org. Yikes, the tiniest little details!

    1. Thanks Mich! I'm sure I'll make lots more silly mistakes along the way - but I'll be sure to post about them to hopefully help others NOT make them! :)

  2. Great that you are giving WordPress a try. Indeed it is confusing with the separations they give .com and .org. Even the support forums are completely separate.

    I am a web developer so can give you some tips for WordPress for sure.

    - Take a look at some of the free themes available, there are some pretty cool ones out there, I would suggest a mostly white with pop of colour, either a bright blue, green or yellow so very fresh colours for the theme of your blog. (quick look and I found this one, just search "The Bizness" through the theme install on your WordPress site).

    - When you use images in your post, be sure to set a featured image. This is important for SEO, as well as giving images alt text. Also handy when posting to facebook as it picks up the featured image with the link.

    - Consider changing to friendly urls, info on that can be found here:

    - Now some awesome plugins, I make my own sometimes, but these are a few good ones.
    AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget
    Google Analytics for WordPress
    WordPress SEO

    Lastly, I always stress to customers, keep your version of WordPress up to date, WordPress is one of the most hacked sites (because there are so many of them), but keeping your version up to date is the best step you can take to stopping anything happening.

    If you get stuck send me an email via, I can properly point you in the right direction.

    1. Thanks SO much for all of this Stephanie - I'll be looking into the things you've suggested in the coming week , and thanks too for your offer of help if I get stuck!!

  3. Are you going to transfer this one to Wordpress? That's a question that's been nagging me for ages. Maybe i should move out of my comfort zone :-)

    1. Hi Agy

      At this stage I have no plans to transfer this blog - but I want to be prepared and understand the alternative if I ever feel the need to move!

  4. I only launched my blogger blog about 4 months ago but now I am hearing so much about Wordpress I am wondering if I made the wrong decision!!!
    Keep us updated on how you go with the whole transfer and good luck

    1. Thanks Sheridan! As I said in the post, I've been with Blogger for several years and have been really happy with it. I'm only looking at Wordpress to learn for myself instead of just going on what I hear. Once I've experienced both I'll be able to compare the two better!

  5. Hi, Jill!
    I am glad you are exploring new horizons, however I would never recommend Wordpress as a blogging platform. Fro me the editing tools, layouts are not convenient. Also I know that Spam problem.. we have our companies blog and we used to get a LOT of spam in there, so they simply now switched off the comments at all,. which is also not right. I hope you find the solution!

    1. Hi Anna!

      Thanks for your comment - It's nice to hear both sides as usually I only hear how wonderful Wordpress is! I'll keep on learning and listening and see what I can figure out!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !