Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My new focus and plan - my blogs as a business

So - if you read my post yesterday about how my blog has grown over the past 3 years, this is the follow on post about how I'm going to push to continue that growth and take my blog to the next level!

To start with I need to work out my time schedule.

I think my biggest issue is finding the time to focus on my blogs, and not get distracted by other things that need my attention.  
I need to make sure I can take care of my family and home AND work on my blogs without one taking over from the other!

I need to be realistic in what I aim to do, but also push myself out of my comfort zone - remembering that I need to put in plenty time and effort to see the results I want.



With all of that in mind, I am going to commit to :

Daily: check and answer emails and comments, social media - post and connect with others, and visit other blogs

4 days a week: when my girls are at school - blogging. This generally gives me 5 hours I can 'work' - this will include my actual sewing and other crafting projects - and also ones relevant to my other blog which I intend to grow too!

So that will be a 20 hour week working on my blogs, plus extra time here and there for general blog housekeeping - emails etc.  I'm going to class this as my 'travel time' to and from work!

I have come to realise the importance (for me) of daily exercise - so I have allowed myself an hour a day for a workout that will clear my mind and help me focus on the day ahead.  Sometimes I will exercise in the evenings, sometimes I get a run in while my girls do a before or after school sport. 

I think it is very important for me to be flexible with the times I plan to do things - as things often change week to week with what I need to help my kids with, or occasionally I do some casual paid employment.

What I have decided to do, is each week write a plan in my diary of what I will achieve that week. I will slot tasks into days, but when things actually get done may change as the week goes on.
The most important thing is to do something every day.

My plan is simple:

TIME: To have a fixed amount of time each day when I 'work'

PLAN: To have a plan for each day - worked out in advance

MOTIVATION: To keep motivated by daily exercise, listening/watching or reading motivational exerpts (eg Anthony Robbins CDs or you tube videos)

EDUCATION: To continually educate myself about sewing, blogging, marketing, crocheting....and anything else I find relevant or useful

ACCOUNTABILITY: To commit to recording each week (on Saturdays) what I have achieved or learnt in a summarizing blog post. I have set up the blank posts for each Saturday this month - so they are ready to type up the details at the end of my 'working week'


I have written out larger more detailed plans for what I want to achieve with my blogs over the course of this year - 2013.  I'm not going to post all of that here - but each week I'll take stock of where  I'm going and what I need to do to get there!
I printed these plans out and have stuck them on the wall above the desk where I work on my computer so I can constantly refer to them  and make sure I'm staying on track.


So - there you  have it - my renewed commitment to focus on growing my blogs - believing in my own mind that they are my 'business' rather than my 'hobby' and giving them their due focus and attention.

I hope you'll follow along with my progress and help keep me accountable to my goals!

I'll post my first progress report this Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. You have created a really clear plan for yourself Jill! I think it will work like a charm especially with the review post planned for Saturdays. That should really keep you accountable and on track. Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Now I just have to stick to it!

      Delete
  2. Ready...set...go! You already passed up the rest of the marathoners. Good luck on ALL of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !