Friday, July 13, 2012

Sewing Green

I've recently been reading a book called 'Sewing Green'

It's a fantastic blend of repurposing, sewing projects and ideas and stories of ways to recycle and upcycle.

It's chock full of inspiration, things like this wallet made from the cuff of a men's shirt:

There are projects made from old feed sacks, juice packages, and old woollen jumpers to name just a few.
Each project has great photos, instructions, a pattern if necessary, and tips and hints on making it.

I really liked the idea of making napkin rings from those plastic rings you get around the top of milk and juice bottles.  These rings I don't think can be recycled, so it's good to find another use for them!
Here's the inspiration from the book:


And here's my quick try!
I've been saving those plastic rings for a couple of weeks..

Then I took some fabric scraps from another project I've just been working on and cut them into strips..

Then simply wrapped the strips around a couple of rings together, adding more strips as I needed them:

Finally I just used a needle and thread to secure the ends:

I've just left the raw edges as I kind of like the shabby chic look of them!  You could add buttons, trim or all sorts of things, but I just wanted to try these out with a very simple ring!

Not bad for a few minutes work - some scraps and a few rings from old milk bottles!


I'd definitely recommend a look at this great book!
There are so many more great ideas, and it's very well written!


Do you have any good sewing or upcycling books you can recommend too?

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! I have made a few things from it but the best has to be the wallet, I made it for my husb and he loves it!

    Love your napkin rings!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful one!I would love to buy this book

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !