Friday, June 15, 2012

Who are you?

I've just started reading Sophie's World again.  

I read it years ago, when I was just out of University and in my first job teaching English in Japan. I really enjoyed the book, and thinking about all the philosophical questions it posed.

I thought that it would be interesting to re-read this book now that I'm older, perhaps wiser and in a totally different place in my life.

One of the first questions is poses is:

Who are you?

It's also interesting that I should choose to start reading this book just when my eldest daughter (9 years old) went to school camp for 3 days.  I really missed her, as did her younger sister, and it made me think about how much I'm defined by being a mother.

As my girls grow older, and I gradually get more time to myself, I'm getting to explore more of myself and who I am and want to be.

As a child I never had one strong ambition to be anything in particular in terms of a job. I went through all sorts of ideas from a physiotherapist, to a marine biologist and even a truck driver.
Really all I ever wanted to do passionately was travel.
I wanted to explore the world and have amazing experiences!

I ended up training to teach English as a foreign language, and taught in Japan, New Zealand and Europe, finally ending up here in Australia, and moving up to the tropical paradise of Cairns, where I'm now..... a mum.
I could also call myself a blogger, a sewer and a writer.
I'm also a runner and a housewife.

But is all that what really defines me?

The more I've been thinking about this - together with my latest thoughts about my blog (which is what I spend most of my time on and around), the more I realise that I still am a teacher.

I've always enjoyed (and believe I am quite good at) explaining and teaching things.

Just yesterday I was helping out in my youngest daughter's class at school with literacy, and I really enjoy the sense of satisfaction you gain from teaching and helping people.
Helping the kids at school to read is very rewarding - particularly their faces when they realise they can do it!

My blog is also in a sense a kind of teaching. My sewing tutorials are my way of 'teaching' others what I've learned myself in sewing. I also try to pass on anything I learn about blogging too.

I enjoy helping my girls learn about the world around them, helping them with their school work, sports and life skills. So I guess I'm teaching them too!

So perhaps that's it -

 I am a teacher

But I don't only want to teach and help others.  I want to achieve for myself and lead by example.

A teacher never stops learning themselves.
I never want to stop learning and striving to be the best version of myself that I can be.

I think I will constantly be thinking about who I am and also who I want to be, because that is just as important so I know what I am striving for.

I'm sure I'll be doing lots more thinking as I read through this wonderful book (Sophie's World) again.

My blog is continuing to grow and evolve and I'm thinking about what it is and what I want it to be too!

How about you?
Have you ever read this book?
Do you ever think about who you are? or who you want to be?


2 comments:

  1. When you're a Mum, you're defined by others as such. Same thing when you work outside the home, or in my case, a mum and a school teacher at the same time. When your leave the workforce and your kids have left home, you don't have the same external factors defining you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !