Saturday, June 23, 2012

Me, a mad scientist?

A couple of weeks ago, I showed you a picture of a new drinks belt for running that I had made.

Well I tried it out on an 18km run and found it still bounced around a bit too much - not so comfortable! So it was back to the drawing board! ( I refuse to pay $45 for something that I'm convinced I can make myself!)

So I've gone as simple as possible - with just a thick elastic belt with little loops on to hold the bottles and velcro to fasten it!
I tested it out last weekend on a short run with my daughter, and found the weight of the full bottles pulled it down a bit much, but otherwise it seemed ok.
So I've now added a couple more belt loops on my shorts to stop the belt sagging!

(This is when my husband called me a mad scientist - testing, retesting and adding bits here and there!!)

So - I think I've finally cracked it.
Today I'm off up this mountain (The Pyramid) for a training run and another test of my belt!

Hopefully it will finally be perfect!

Wishing everyone a happy weekend!


  1. You will be able to market your belt soon with all the testing Jill. I am sitting here waving to you. :-) At least it is a nice cool cloudy day to run up there.

    1. Thanks Merry! Yes it was nice and cool - even rained at the top! Most unexpected after the weather of the last few days!:)

  2. Scientist of madness, you are! The belt looks quite sharp - and so does that mountain peak. Hope you had a great run/climb!

    1. Thanks Michelle! Yes the mountain did seem particularly sharp today! It was a bit wet a slippy too! The belt held up well though!

  3. Here's a suggestion for you. Law enforcement uses belt keepers to hold their gun belts in place, those weigh more than a few bottles of liquid. You will have to use two belts though. You have your first belt worn as normal, then put your 'running belt' over it. Attach with four belt keepers, two in the front, say over your hip bone, and two evenly spaced in the back. The keepers are simply loops that you loop over both belts and snap into place. This way, you won't have to sew extra belt loops into all your shorts! Look at a few online catalogs to spur your thinking...most popular is Galls. Good luck!

    I've enjoyed your blog for a long time...funny that it took this to bring me out of being just a lurker!

    1. Thanks for the suggestion Peg - I'll have to look into that idea! - and thanks for commenting too and for your kind words about my blog! :)


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !