Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Creating Success Around the World - Ruth from Little Lambs

Welcome to Creating Success around the World
Introducing you to creative people from all corners of the globe.




Creating my way to Sucess
 




Every Wednesday our hosts will introduce some inspiring creativity from their corner of the world.
 
Here's this week's hosts:
Jill in Australasia
Jill in Australasia
Daffy in Asia
Daffy in Asia
-----------------------
Today's guest is Ruth from Little Lambs

    in Western Australia


What do you create? 

I design and make retro inspired baby clothes.  I’ve loved just about everything retro for as long as I can remember really.  My clothing designs are inspired by vintage style fabrics and prints; bold use of pattern and colour characterise my designs.  Kids’ clothes should be fun so this is what I try to do.  I hope that the style of my clothes will take other mums down memory lane and remind them of some happy times from their childhood.  Designing and creating is something that I feel I just have to do.  Before I became a mum I was a Design Technology (T&E) teacher, so now I’m practicing what I preach.

·Why do you create?

Being a mum can be both the most rewarding but also the most trying job in oh so many ways.  Starting Little Lambs has given me a little bit of ‘me’ back.  I can only speak from my own experience of course but when you become a mum everything changes.  Motherhood is so overwhelming that it can difficult for women to maintain their personal sense of identity.  No matter what else I do as a career I will always be a designer maker of some sort, it is who I am and I hope that I will never forget it.  Of course I treasure the time I spend with my children but without any family within 14,000km, having a good routine where my children sleep, keeps me making and therefore sane! 

·Do you sell your creations? If so, how? Where? And is it profitable?

My business is in its’ fledging stage.  Little Lambs was launched not long ago in May this year when I held my first market stall and started an online store even more recently.  You can find me on www.madeit.com.au/littlelambs.  I’m also working on the finer details of my facebook page.  So I now need exposure, and lots of it!  As well as baby and toddler clothes I produce artwork and accessories for the nursery.

·What mistakes have you made or lessons you have learned?

Well the learning side will never really end no matter what I’m doing.  I’m still learning all the time and am kept on my toes.  I think if you’re making things to sell to the public then each product has to be thoroughly tested.  If, the designer maker isn’t 100% sure about a product then I believe it simply shouldn’t be put on the market.  One of my early designs that I still really love wasn’t used because the fabric had a really low stretch recovery and distorted when it was washed.  That was a big mistake as I bought a heap of the fabric.  

·What, to you is success? Have you achieved it yet, or are you on your way towards success?

Finally having an online store and a few markets under my belt is what I’ve been aiming for from the moment I started Little Lambs, so that is one slice of success that I’m happy with.  I’ve been really pleased with the customer feedback that I’ve received.  It’s early days and I’m starting out very small.  Everything is 100% handmade with love and I take a lot of time over each item so I will never make a million dollars!  I like to think that my company is making little baby steps towards success. Hearing that other people love my clothes and appreciate the time and attention to detail makes me feel like a success. 

·So what's next?

I’ve had a lot of requests for my designs to be made up in larger sizes as they currently range from 000 to size 2.  So that is on the cards.
It can be difficult to source quirky retro prints.  I’ve had some fabric printed with my own designs which can be found in my current collection.  I have some ideas for new prints that I would love to see made up.  As long as my children still have naps there’s a chance I might get to do some more!

--------------------------------
Thanks  for your lovely answers - and for sharing your beautiful work with us!
Do go and visit Ruth's Madeit Shop and check out more of her wonderful creations!


3 comments:

  1. Those clothes are absolutely adorable! They make the perfect gift ! Thanks for introducing her to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just nominated you for the Sunshine Award:) Please come on over to my place for all the fun details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Agy and Pretty. Your feedback is really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !