Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Creating Success around the World - Leeanne from The Cabbage Patch

Welcome to

Creating Success around the World
The worldwide blog hop tour, that introduces you to creative people from all corners of the globe.

Creating my way to Sucess

Every Wednesday our hosts on each continent will introduce some inspiring creativity from their corner of the world.
Here's the hosts. Click on the buttons to visit them and see who they are featuring this week:

This week's Australasian guest is Leanne from The Cabbage Patch, in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

What do you create? 

Hi everyone my name is Leeanne and I love to sew! My passion for sewing began way back in high school. When most of my classmates were looking for an “easy” class I was looking to learn – and learn I did.
I learnt all the basics from a wonderful teacher who was a dressmaker in her own right and to this day I still have my notes. Amazing over the years how many times that book has been referred to.
I first started with a basic sewing machine, making clothes for my two children when they were younger, then school items such as library bags then progressed to cloth dolls and finally settled on creating gorgeous baby items as all the nieces and nephews arrived.
My shop name came from my husband’s vegie patch as he is always joking he will dig up the vegies and plant cabbages (his favourite).

·Why do you create?

It’s my passion and it’s in my blood. My grandmother could sew and her mother and her brothers as well. Whilst sewing was not my mother’s first love she made beautiful winter jumpers using wool and needles (the old fashioned way) and many gorgeous macramé creations.
So you could say I have grown up around craft of various sorts and not a day goes by that I don’t have a least one machine working. I have four machines all up, one regular sewing machine, one overlocker, one coverstitch and the ultimate V8 the Embroidery machine! If that machine had a speedometer I would be in lots of trouble……

·Do you sell your creations? If so, how?

My creations can be found online in my Madeit store  and also my Etsystore . I love the convenience of being able to work from home it’s the best of both worlds. I set my own working hours and adhere to them whilst allowing a day here and there for coffee/lunch with friends and family. I have plans to do markets in the not too distant future as time and stock will allow.

And is it profitable?

Handmade is a funny thing. People want the best quality fabrics yet are reluctant to also factor in the time that goes into making those creations. I’ll let you know when I make my first million hehe!

·What mistakes have you made or lessons you have learned?

Think twice and cut once! Can’t tell you how many times in the beginning I would cut first before thinking only to throw out good quality quilting fabric.
So hence I made patterns of all my designs which I now use to cut for each of my items.
Make sure you label each and every item that you sell. At the start that thought had not crossed my mind and you guessed it my creations starting popping up in places I had never heard of. Oh well you live and you learn as my mother would say.

·What, to you is success? Have you achieved it yet, or are you on your way towards success?

I am working my way towards success one stitch at a time. My aim is to provide good quality items at an affordable price and I rely on word of mouth as well as social mediums like twitter, facebook etc. I have customers who come back on a regular basis who are delightful to work with, they let me know roughly what they would like and let me run with it. Allowing me the creative freedom to work on a design is both a challenge and an honour as you can see with some of the pictures shown here. 

·So what's next?

I have a stockpile of fabrics which have just arrived and I am dying to get started -well not literally!! Some gorgeous printed minkee fabrics and flannels for winter, along with some lovely shabby cotton all just waiting to be washed and ironed and then the creative process can begin. Stay tuned as winter projects will be revealed shortly.

You can find Leeanne on twitter and facebook too!

Thanks Leeanne for your lovely answers - and for sharing your beautiful work with us!
Do go and visit Leanne's made it and etsy shops and check out more of her wonderful creations!


If you would like to be featured in an interview - then please contact your continent's host! 
Each featured guest here on Creating my way to Success, will also receive one week's free advertising in my sidebar as a thank you for your post!


  1. Hy Jill,
    chanced by your space while blog hopping...very interesting space you have..
    lovely posts with nice presentation
    happy following you..:)
    do stop by mine sometime
    Tasty Appetite

  2. Think twice and cut once...good advice!! And making patterns is also a great piece of advice as well. Thanks


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !