Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Creating Success around the World - Katrina from Sheri Rose

Welcome to

Creating Success around the World
The worldwide blog hop tour, that introduces you to creative people from all corners of the globe.

Creating my way to Sucess

Every Wednesday our hosts on each continent will introduce some inspiring creativity from their corner of the world.
Here's the hosts:


Today's guest is Katrina from Sheri Rose
    in NSW Australia

Hi! My name is Katrina and I am a 30 something mummy to three delightful children ranging in age from 2 to 5 and live in a rural town in Parkes, NSW, Australia. Being a stay at home, my life is very full every day but I still find the need to fulfil my creative urges!!
I love love love to make things and my main avenues involve sewing and crochet. The problem with these two fields of endeavour is there are endless things you can create.  It always amazes me how you can go from the material to the gorgeous end result with so much fun in between….

I learned to crochet from my grandmother and my mother around the age of 8 or 9 and it sat dormant until the birth of my children. All of a sudden, I had the desire to create again… a bit of nesting… a bit of recreation for me (time out when the little ones are sleeping!).
Sewing was a skill also shared with me by my mother but improved in high-school, back in the day when you could still take a sewing class and use a real sewing machine and overlocker at school. I must be getting old…… I often sewed for myself until I had my children, but sewing for children is so much more rewarding…
And from here was born my little store online on “madeit” .  Here are some of my eclectic mix of creations I endeavour to sell on madeit…..
Ollie the Orange Octopus Toy

Soft Wool Slouch Hat

  Nappy Cover Set
The nappy sets were actually the beginning of it all and I tried to sell them on eBay but that was a complete failure, no-one seemed to appreciate the true value of something handmade. Then I had a “light bulb” moment…. I searched Google and I found madeit. It has been such a fun experience.
I can’t say it has been “profitable” in the sense of becoming a business venture but it certainly has been a creative outlet and a means to make some pocket money. If anything, I think it has given me creativity overload and I now have more patterns and materials than I know what to do with!! A warning to all you creative people….. it’s easy to spend more than you make….. don’t tell my husband (I think he already knows).
Am I successful…. Absolutely! Living in a rural community I don’t sell at markets so I will continue in my little part of the madeit community for now ( ). But for me, sales aren’t a measure of success. I have three very beautiful children and a fantastic husband who see me create for them and for others and who proudly show off their homemade things to anyone they can. I am happy with my efforts and rewarded by my outcomes. 
When I only wish to create for my loved ones, I do. Otherwise, I make for others!!!

Thanks Katrina for your lovely answers - and for sharing your beautiful work with us!
Do go and visit Katrina's Madeit shop and check out more of her wonderful creations!
Please note: Katrina currently has an extended time frame on custom items of 2-4 weeks!

If you would like to be featured in an interview - then please contact your continent's host! 
Each featured guest here on Creating my way to Success, will also receive one week's free advertising in my sidebar as a thank you for your post!


  1. Katrina makes some beautiful things! I love the slouch hat! Thanks so much for introducing her!


  2. Katrina's orange octopus is cute! Thanks for the interview.


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !