Friday, February 17, 2012

Linky parties

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been having a look at linky parties and blogs with regard to their purpose and the traffic they do or don't generate.

I myself link up my projects to lots of linky parties each week. I have a page of links that I go through each week - so if you have a linky party on your blog that's not on my list - then do let me know and I'll add it and come through each week to link up!


Looking at my own linky parties, I have my weekly Round Tuit every Monday - where you can link up any project.
I get just over 100 links each week, and I visit each and every one of them and love being inspired and motivated. I mention my favourites on facebook and here on my blog - and always end up pinning a few ideas too!

I always get comments from people who say they appreciate me visiting and commenting on all the links! That's great because I enjoy this part of my week and the variety of links I see.

There are times when I think I should push to grow this linky party. There are some out there that get several hundred links every week. I always look at them and think "wow, wouldn't that be great for my little party to grow that much."  but then again, if I had that many links I couldn't possibly get through them all to visit and comment, so do I really want it to grow more??

I emailed a few people with larger linky parties to ask them how they grew them so big. Jenn from Craftomaniac,   Rebecca from Blue Cricket Design, and Stacy from Not Just a Housewife, all very generously replied to my question and told me what they had done to grow their linky parties.
I found that they had done nothing more than I am already doing.  I visit and comment on my links, I sometimes ask people to link up great projects I see, I have a button that people can put on their site when they link up to help spread the word, and I also mention the linky party on facebook and twitter.

One thought is that maybe there are so many linky parties out there now, that it's the ones that started at the beginning of their popularity that have grown big. Competition is too large now for any new ones to grow quite that much.

I don't think there is a magic formula for growing big linky parties, but having spent the time looking into them and considering the possibilities, I've decided to just enjoy my Round Tuit party as it is, continue doing what I'm doing and it will be the size it will be.

I hope people will continue to link up - and I will continue to visit the links each week and comment on them!


The second linky party I have is a blog hop each Wednesday as part of my Creating to Success Worldwide feature.

This is much smaller than the Round Tuit party, getting anywhere from 20 to 50 links each week.  What is surprising is that each link on this linky gets twice as many or more clicks than those links to the Round Tuit.  The linky is available on several blogs worldwide who feature interviews each week - and the idea is to make some international blogging friends and share creative talent worldwide.

I don't visit each link on this one - but I do go around all the hosts and check out all the interviews each week - and always find some fabulous talent and new blogs to follow!  The idea behind this linky party is a forum for people to meet others and get themselves out there and noticed more.
If you haven't joined in this one - the linky stays open all week - so feel free to add your blog and visit some of the others! Make some new international friends yourself!


Finally, my long term linky for clothes upcycling projects is very popular, with  237 links at last count and growing all the time.
When I looked in the statistics for that as to how many clicks each link gets, it was incredible.  
I've had emails from people who have said they get a steady stream of traffic from this linky - and I can see it's true!

Obviously the links that have been there longer have more clicks - the most being for this 
Which has had over 700 clicks!

So if you have any clothes upcycling projects - do come and link them up!  The page itself gets lots of traffic through each day - add a link and you could get some of that traffic flowing through to your blog too!


Linky parties are probably the main way I used to grow my blog.  I think it is very true that you get out what you put into these.
 If you link up and leave, you might get a few visitors as a result if you've linked a fabulous project with a great picture. 
 But if you link up then spend some time visiting other links and commenting, you are then far more likely to get visits to your blog, the comments we all love getting - and also new followers which everyone loves too!




What about you?  Do you host a linky party on your blog? Does it get a lot of links and traffic? Do you want to to be bigger?  And do you link your own projects to other link parties?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on these parties which are such a bit part of the craft blogging world!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Jill,
    Thank you for visit my blog and leave a comment.
    I wrote your post about link parties and I found it very inspired. I'm a new blogger, trying to grow my blog. I link my blog weekly in 3 link parties, now that I find yours, I'll link to yours too.
    I'm thinking about hosting a link parties in Italy.... I didn't find one open yet, mine could be the first one.....
    But first I have to grow my blog a little bit more.
    Have a nice week!
    Your new follower, Carmen (from Italy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen. Make sure and let me know when you start your link party and I'll come and link up and put you on my list too!!

      Delete
  2. I love your parties and I love you still comment on the projects. How do you find the time. I try to comment but find it very hard to go through them all. You are always such a great host! love your party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle

      I try to visit the links and comment throughout the days as they get added - just a few here and there and I seem to get through them. I do find it harder when I have to go out for the day then they really build up! But as I said, I enjoy looking through them, so it's never a chore!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I host a linky party every Monday at serendipityandspice.blogspot.com. I get a little over 100 link ups a week and would like to grow bigger but I agree it is getting hard to keep up with visiting everyone's site. Although I might need to instill a link limit as this past week I had some people link up 10-15 projects and ones that they've already linked up before. I really enjoy seeing all the talent every week and I love trying out several new recipes and choosing my favorite to feature.
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa! I've added your Monday party to my list and button to the bottom of my home page! I shall start coming through to link up my projects with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya, I am actually kind of glad that your part is still relatively small. When I visit a party that has 600+ linkups I think: what's the point of linking up? No one is gonna look at my link now. I think it's a matter of quality over quantity. You want your audience to be numerous, but also inetersted. And not visit you once a week to link up and don't come to your site for any other reason. Think about why you want people to visit you, not just click on your page and leave.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther! I like that the Monday Round Tuit is building into a small community which is great!- I see people who have linked have also commented on other links, so it's nice to know people don't all just link and leave!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jill, I enjoy your linky party mainly because of it's size. If linky parties have more than 100-150 linkups, I won't link up. I, too think it is very nice that you still comment on every linkup, even when I link up 2 projects from the same blog. I don't link up weekly, only when I have posted new projects, but I do visit your linky party every week to get ideas. I've been an email subscriber for a while and look forward to reading your posts. Keep up the good work. You are doing a great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly!

      From the feedback I'm getting, it seems that my round tuit link is a good size and everyone is happy with it as is! No need to try to grow it big - just let it develop by itself!

      Delete
  7. Hey Jill! I've wondered what the other side of linky parties look like! I have not even considered starting one because they are so plentiful. I don't foresee doing on in the near future, but it was so great to hear your experience with starting and maintaining your own! I too, prefer the smaller/mid-size parties, but I don't think it's a waste linking up to larger ones...as long as you are nice and visit a few links while you are there. And if you do get featured, then you are exposed to a broader audience.

    Yours was one of the first parties that I found and I am always so happy to be able to link up a project...though I haven't really had time recently to create. I hope to be back at it really soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !