Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Creating Success around the World- Jess from Epheriell Designs

Welcome to

Creating Success around the World
The worldwide blog hop tour, that introduces you to creative people from all corners of the globe.

Creating my way to Sucess

Every Wednesday our hosts on each continent will introduce some inspiring creativity from their corner of the world.
Here's the hosts:


Today's guest is Jess from Epheriell Designs
    in Queensland, Australia

In my eyes - Jess has a LOT of success and is very generous is sharing her knowledge about how she achieved what she has - and helping others to Create their own way to Success! - so you can see why I'm so happy and excited to be featuring her today!  After you've read her interview - I'd highly recommend going over to visit her site. If you sign up for her newsletter too - you can get a copy of her free e-book -

 "How I went from nothing to a sale a day online -
(and it only took me one month!) 

Now if you yourself create - and I know how creative my readers are..  then this could be a BIG help!

So - take it away Jess!

What do you create?

I'm a multi-faceted creative entrepreneur - basically, because I have so many ideas (don't we all) and I get bored easily! So, I have lots of projects on the go to keep me engaged.

My main creative business is my contemporary silver jewellery range, Epheriell. I'm also a full-time blogger at, the editor and publisher of *bespoke* zine, and I also run another jewellery range, Vintette, as well as write e-books and undertake regular speaking engagements.

Though I've got a lot going on, everything I do revolves around creating a unique and fulfilling life by following my passions - and helping others to do the same!

Why do you create?

I’m an accidental entrepreneur! Seriously. I was a teacher/science communicator/manager in past career incarnations, and a few years ago, I took up knitting as a hobby after reading a novel that featured a yarn-store-owner while on holiday in Fiji.

That quickly led me to making beaded jewellery. I enjoyed working with my hands so very much! All my life and work before this had been academic, and the satisfaction I gained from making an actual object with my hands was immense.

Do you sell your creations? If so, how? Where? And is it profitable?

I sell my jewellery in many places - both offline and online. Though I make the bulk of my income from online sales. My 3 most successful venues are my own site,, my Etsy store and my madeit store.

I've designed my business to be profitable - it is my full-time gig, after all!

What mistakes have you made or lessons you have learned?

I learnt early on not to work myself into the ground. It's an easy mistake to make when you start out with your own business - you're passionate, full of energy, and you want to do everything RIGHT NOW! And while it's important to ride that wave of motivation, it's also important to remember to take care of the other aspects of you and your life.

For example, in my previous jobs I'd been relatively active, and so it was a shock when I got so wrapped up in my work that I gained a few surprise kilos! Now I make sure to get up from that desk and exercise everyday - my brain and body thank me for it. I also make sure I take time off every day (sounds funny, but sometimes I work non-stop from waking to sleeping!).

The main lesson - building a business takes time - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't try to do everything now at the expense of the other aspects of your life. It will happen.

What, to you is success? Have you achieved it yet, or are you on your way towards success?

I know that to many other crafty business-people, I seem a success, and I am very happy with what I've achieved so far. Knowing you're in control of your work and your income is quite a rush, and I adore working for myself. It's also quite an amazing feeling when someone loves what you make enough to part with their hard-earned money to buy it.

I think I've got a long way to go - there is so much more I want to do and achieve!

So what's next?

I want to keep growing *bespoke* zine and my jewellery brand Epheriell. I’ve got big plans for some pretty awesome e-courses… so hopefully I’ll carve out the time to get them written in the new year!

Most importantly though – I want to keep living and enjoying every day, doing what I love. What more could you ask for?


Jess Van Den is a creative entrepreneur who’s passionate about crafting a DIY lifestyle. She makes eco-conscious, modern sterling silver jewellery under the label Epheriell, edits and publishes *bespoke* zine, and also blogs daily at Epheriell Designs about craft, creativity, life, and business.


Thanks so much Jess for sharing a little of yourself with us!  I for one am inspired and motivated by what you do and really enjoy your email newsletters!
Go on - go visit Jess here and say Hi!!

But before you go - why not link up your blog below and join our Creative Worldwide community! Visit some new friends, both new and old and discover amazing creative talent across the globe!


If you would be interested in being a host for his worldwide tour, we are currently looking for people who would like to post interviews each week for a one month period.  If you would like to be a part of this with us - then please email me, Jill at
I look forward to hearing from you!

If you would like to be featured in an interview - then please contact your continent's host! 
Each featured guest here on Creating my way to Success, will also receive one week's free advertising in my sidebar as a thank you for your post!


  1. Thanks Jill, for dropping by on my blog and following.
    I've been coming to your blog since long and really love it. I was following it in my blog list but somehow forgot to follow here....done now.

  2. So nice to meet Jess and her jewelry is so fabulous!
    Must visit her store in depth!!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !