Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Creating Success around the world - Cyndy from Wombat's Picnic

 Welcome to

Creating Success around the World
The worldwide blog hop tour, that introduces you to creative people from all corners of the globe.

Creating my way to Sucess

Every Wednesday our hosts on each continent will introduce some inspiring creativity from their corner of the world.
 We hope you'll join us on this tour around the world - and discover with us some amazing new talent!
Add your own blog or website to the linky party at the bottom of the post so that others can find you too - and we can all make some new international creative friends!

Today's guest is Cyndy from Wombat's Picnic
based in Geelong - Australia

Hello, my name is Cyndy and I am the person behind Wombat's Picnic. I live in Geelong West, Victoria and am the mother to three children under the age of ten. In my spare time i.e. when I am not cooking, cleaning, washing, dropping children off and picking children up from school, kinder and after school activities or doing things for their schools, I make things in my studio (also known as the kitchen table).

What do you create?
I create just about anything: costumes, curtains, cards, pin cushions, hair clips/bands, clothing, felt food, softies, jewelry, etc... I never know what I will end up making next:). I like working with fabric, felt and paper. I also love working with vintage items or items that can be re-purposed. I am an avid op shopper and Ebayer. Sometimes I find things without really knowing what I will make from them - I know that will come to me in time. I share many of finds, my creations and creative process through my blog.

Why do you create?
I have always loved to create. My sister and I had our own art room when we were growing up. I learned to sew and embroider from my mother. Since having children and becoming a stay at home mum a couple of years ago, creating has become a larger part of my life. I love creating for others, the joy it brings them (and me). I also love the process of creating; taking something from an idea in my head to fruition.

Do you sell your creations?
Yes. After a lot of "you could sell that" comments from people, I started to look into the idea. I read a lot of information on the Internet and discovered the crafty online community and lurked about for a year. I wasn't convinced what I made was sellable for a variety of reasons, but then I got the idea for Wombat's Picnic. The tag line for Wombat's Picnic is "a little piece of handmade Australia" - and when I say Australia, I mean literally. While not a native, I am a little bit obsessed with things that are unique to Australia (perhaps this comes with not being born and growing up here, but coming to live here later in life) and so my shop features handcrafted items of all kinds that celebrate all things Australian - its flora, its fauna, its cultural icons. I sell items for adults and children ranging from stationary, decorative items for the home, accessories and toys.

If so, how? Where?
Currently I have a online shop and am just about to try out my first market. I only opened my online shop in August so it is early days, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far.

What mistakes have you made or lessons you have learned?
Probably the biggest mistake I made was not letting people know about my idea/plan to sell my handmade items or asking for help. I think when you are selling something you have made it is much more personal, you are selling you and I wasn't sure how comfortable I was with that, even with those closest to me. By not letting more people know earlier about my plans I missed out on a lot of support (especially moral) that might have helped me implement my idea sooner.

In terms of lessons learned, I think anyone who is planning to sell their handmade items needs to be clear about their goals/intentions. Having clear goals intentions helps you to make informed decisions about each step along the way. It can inform how much time you spend, how much money you spend, how many items you make etc....I also think it's important to do what you love and to stay true to you/who you are creatively. A corollary is to not compare yourself to others, doing so can drive you crazy and make you spend time on things that are not going to help you reach your goals.

What, to you is success? Have you achieved it yet, or are you on your way towards success?
I think part of success is doing what you love, something my father always encouraged me to do. I don't know if I am there yet, but I am certainly working on it:) Another part of success to me is finding balance between my "professional" and "personal" life. As a mum to three young children that can be a little challenging at times, but again, I am working on it:)

So what's next?
As I mentioned earlier my first market is coming up. Then of course Christmas and the summer holiday. And since I never know what I will make next, I look forward to finding new materials and new ideas to bring to fruition:)


Thanks Cyndy for your interesing answers and beautiful pictures. Do go and visit Cyndy's online shop for some lovely Aussie handmade goodness!  And also check out her blog to find out what creative things she's been up to lately!


Now that you've seen some of the talent Australasia has to offer, why not take a trip to some other places around the world.  Here's the other hosts...
Make sure you visit them all to see the inspiration and creative people
every corner of the world has to offer:
Europe - Yaga @ The Shiny Bubble
The Americas - Suzy @ Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom
Asia - Janelle @ Of Pinks and Fairy Tales
And don't forget to add your own link below!  It's all about meeting new friends worldwide!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jill for featuring myself and Wombat's Picnic! My first market is three days away so this was a nice pick me up as I am in full blown panic mode:) Thanks again, Cyndy


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !