Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How to set your hyperlinks to open in a new window.

I've decided that since I'm trying to grow my blog into a profitable business, that I should try to learn more about html, to allow me to tweak my posts and site to exactly what I want.

Something I've just learnt which I'm finding useful so I thought I'd pass it on is,

How to set any links to open in a new window - so that your original page stays open to those reading it!

It's pretty simple - you just have to go into the html of your post and add:

target="_blank"
directly after the link url.

So for example,
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

[a href="http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/" ]Creating my way to Success [/a]
  this is the html to produce the following link which will just take you to my home page:
Creating my way to Success 

But if I add the extra html:



[a href="http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" ]http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/ [/a] 

Then this link should now open in a new window!

Hopefully that works!!
A pretty useful little thing to know to stop people leaving your site and not being able to find their way back after clicking on a link!

What useful snippets of html have you learned?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, thanks for the useful technical trick. I'll do it for my link. Thanks also for stopping by. I'm glad to know you and following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - what a useful tip to know. I always learn so much from visiting you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I did this on my blog a while back, but the annoying thing is that links within the page open in new windows, too. makes hopping a big mess. the embarassing thing about it is: I'm too stupid to remember where the code is and what it looked like, so I can't take it out anymore... oO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. That is so helpful! And thank you also for visiting me over at A Mother Seeking... Loved your comment!
    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tip Jill, very useful!

    Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I've shared this link on my website, Indiana Inker. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great Sunday,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !