Friday, August 12, 2011

How to make a ribbon organiser - Guest post tutorial by Ellen from Creative Passage

Please welcome Ellen from Creative Passage who is providing today's guest post tutorial!


First of all, I am so excited to be guest posting here on Jill’s blog Creating my Way to Success!  I love this blog and am thrilled to be posting a tutorial for a ribbon organizer. 
I made a few ribbon spool holders a few years ago...they didn't quite hold all my spools, but they were a help!  The pink one in the back is the new one I am going to show you how to make…the single one on the right is the first one I made and the triple dowel one in the middle is the second one!
100_1229
This is my pre organizer ribbon storage…yeah, not working so much!  The more I dug to find a color, the more I couldn’t find it!
100_1245
And this is the after!  Six dowels all full of ribbon…
100_1217
So, a few weekends ago I acquired about 50 more rolls of ribbon (major deal~~$5 for 50 rolls, plus some lace and rick rack, plus I donated a large quantity of trims and things I won’t use to Good Will) and clearly needed some more efficient storage. 
100_1247
Since there are different sized rolls, I decided to make one to fit the larger ribbon rolls.
100_1221
I found a board that was 4.25 inches wide and I cut it to 18.5 inches long.  I laid my large ribbon roll along the board and used a black marker to mark the hole in the center of the ribbon spool.
100_1223
I just kept repeating until I was to the end of the board.  If you want actual measurements, the holes were 4.5 inches apart and the first and last holes were 2.5 inches from the end of the board.
100_1225
Then I used a yardstick to tidy the spacing up a bit so the dots were equal distance from the sides and from each other. As I am walking into the garage I remember that I haven’t fed the fish yet today…so I stop and do that…
100_1233
One of these days that big goldfish is going to jump right out of there!
100_1232
Ok, back to the project!  I got my Craftsman drill ready and used the appropriate sized drill bit which happened to be 3/8 inch.  Now here is the tricky part…this is how I got my holes to be straight so the dowels don’t lean crazy.  I put a ribbon spool on the board and held it while I drilled. 
100_1237
Ok, now I know there is probably a tool to accomplish this in a less silly fashion, but I use what I have!  I make do!  My mom taught me that…she has eight kids and she could whip up a big meal out of not much or make us all clothes out of what she could get.  So that is my mom’s trait that I am happy to have—she is much better at it though!
100_1238
Looking pretty straight now, huh?  So next, sand it all nice and purty!  I have an electric sander and couldn’t quite find the coordination to sand with two hands and take a pic, so no pics of that part! 
100_1242
Now give it a nice coat of spray paint (or you wouldn’t have to do this step, it works fine either way!).  And yes, that is my trash can lid that I spray painted on.  I always use it for all my spray painting—that’s just how I roll around here!  Let the paint dry all the way (trust me on this one—it is hard to peel a ribbon roll off the board when you didn’t let the paint dry all the way) and….
100_1258
I then used a small rubber mallet to pound the dowels into the drilled holes.  (The dowels are 12 inches tall, did I mention that?)  You could put a drop of wood glue or Gorilla glue on dowel before you hit it into the hole.
100_1263
TaDa!!!!  All done…..
100_1260
Total cost to me…nothing!  I had the dowels, paint, sandpaper, boards left over from another project. 
100_1261
Now, I hate to admit it, but I have more spools of ribbon in my craft room that need to be organized onto my new spool holder too!  Can a person have too much ribbon?
Thanks again Jill for letting me guest post!! 
Ellen

5 comments:

  1. hiya, gorgeous ribbon holder it is sooo neat and tidy and pink yay x i am so jealous of your 50 roll haul though :( lol tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Tutorial Ellen!

    Lucky you Jill for having Ellen stop by.

    Oh and Jill, I haven't forgotten about you. I will hopefully reply to your email over the weekend. I haven't had much free time this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and wonderful way to hold all the ribbons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill for having me over for the guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog hobbygatherer. I have become a follower of yours too. Thanks for your reply. I have not even considered the animal products that I can buy, like belts and what not... wow that is something to consider. Right now I am just focusing on food. And really as I consider just going meatless I am really also trying to cut out the animal food products. I would appreciate any tips too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !