Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thinking outside the box

A couple of week ago I looked into posting on forums as a way of driving traffic to your blog.
  I have found several 'sewing' and 'crafting' forums which I am now active in, and they are good traffic sources for me.

Then, a few days ago I noticed I was getting traffic from a different forum. One which I hadn't visited before, based on the other side of the world in the UK!.:

Someone on that forum had found my post earlier this week about how to make a fabric sandwich wrap.  They had posted the link to my post on the forum and many people had then read this, come along for a look and discussed it!   How fantastic!

Now that I think about it - at lot of things on my blog could be seen as money saving ideas - or 'green' ideas with all the upcycling, recycling and repurposing I've done !

So this single traffic source this week has taught me to 'think outside the box' and spread my reach a little further than just sewing and crafting forums and sites. 

It has also made me think a little more about what's important to present on my home page - to make various topics and themes easy to find for people - depending on what has brought them to my site.  For example - most of my traffic comes for my tutorials - which I have a dedicated page for, and photos on my sidebar of my top tutorials.
I need to look at how to promote the 'money saving' ideas and 'green' ideas in a user friendly way!

Any suggestions are most welcome! 
I'm working on it!


  1. Jill - you certainly know more about the world of blogging than I do, and I am learning a lot.

    As for adding the focus of money saving tips and green tips, how about just creating a tab for each. I notice at the top of your page, you have "my top 10 blogs" so instead of that or in addition to, you create a tab titled "Top 10 Money Saving Tips" and "Top 10 Green Tips." Just brainstorming with you. Have a wonderful Independence Day weekend.

  2. Keep it up Jill! Your work is fantastic! And your advice is working wonders on my blog. Thanks again!

    A-Mac's Success Blog

  3. What a great discovery and revelation. I agree, you are super frugal and that's going to be a terrific thing to feature. Love this post!

  4. Hi there! Thanks for following me at "the perfect line". Be sure to check out this week's edition of Friends' Meetup Party where I show case all my new friends :) I encourage you to meet other bloggers on the list and share a few words about my meetup at your blog.

    Following you back! Thanks :)

  5. Hi I'm a new follower from the Perfect Line! Looking forward to reading your blogging tips! :o)

  6. Great Post Jill! I am learning so much from you and finding the best sites for information and interest. Keep it up!

  7. Jill, I think you are very right about the magic of watching children learn to read. Thanks for your comment on my post. I'm following you back now :) Thanks for following - the spot for scathing book reviews. I hope you enjoy it!

  8. A nice blogging tip. Another thing to think about is naming your photos. Use naming as a way to tag them seperating each word with a dash eg.

    blue-hand-crafted-lace.jpg or something to fit your image

    this will also tag your post. I have been amazed at how many people link in through google image searches.

  9. I didn't know that about photo labels! Must remember that from now on - I've never bothered with labels before! Thanks for sharing - Culinary Lens!


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !