Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Selling on Etsy

I've been meaning to do this for AGES,and now I've finally done it!  I've set up my own etsy shop to try to sell my creations!

This is another way I'm trying to  "Create my way to Success"
And something that is very strongly linked to my blog!

I've been selling my sewing creations at a local market for a couple of years, but am no longer doing that for various reasons - the location being one of the main ones, as it is now a building site!!

So , the internet is the obvious place to sell things!  Particularly since I have this lovely growing blog as a platform to promote them!

Now selling is not my strong point I must admit.  I love making things and showing them to people, but I'm not so hot on the promoting and selling side of things.
This is probably why I've procrastinated for so long with my etsy shop.

So yesterday I decided to just jump in and do it.  Better to have it up and running and learn as I go,than try to learn it all before I start!  Nothing like practical experience!
I just listed 3 items for now, and I'm sure I'll get better at the photos, and descriptions as I go along!

But here they are:

Now I need to add etsy to my list of forums to join and get active in,so I can learn more about it and how to promote my goods.

Speaking of forums,  To update you on my progress there:

I've been going on the sewing ones I mentioned the other day - trying to get active.
Not only are they a great place to meet like-minded people and learn things, but they can be a brilliant way to promote yourself and your blog as I've discovered!

For example - sew mama sew  has a thread on their forum called "Look what I made"  so basically you can show and tell your latest creations with a link back to your blog for people to come and find you! 

Then cut out and keep  is somewhere you can post your own tutorials - and again link back to your blog or site.

Then there's Burdastyle where you can post photos of your creations - and it also has a space to add if they are for sale so you can link to your shop too!  So I added my furry backpacks with a link to my new etsy store!! Bonus!

So you you have an etsy shop?  Or perhaps a made it shop?  Have you had success selling? Do you have any hints and tips for beginners?

I found on etsy there's a great link to stories of successful etsy sellers called

It has (currently) 159 stories there, and more are being added all the time! Great to read those stories and get inspired!

Have you found some forums for your niche yet?  are you getting active?

If you have any creative projects of your own, then why not link them up to my Round Tuit linky party here.  My goal for this week is to get over 100 links!  Can you help me do it?  The more links there are, the more people will see your project!  good for us all!

Come back tomorrow for my new Wednesday blog hop! Meet some new friends and gain new followers - AND learn all about my featured guest host and how she is Creating her way to Success!


  1. Hello there! What a timely post. Congratulations on your shop! Like you, I've just opened my own etsy shop. It took me ages to go for it because I don't know the first thing about internet selling. There's so much to learn. Whew!. Its a bit late now here, but I will check out your etsy shop tomorrow!
    Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

  2. Good for you. And your back packs are adorable.

    I have an etsy shop. It's only been open for a few months. I've had just one sale so I would not say I've had huge success. What has happened though is people will email me and ask me to make things for them. So I've had a bunch more sales like that. But ones, using the actual etsy site where someone found me on their own, not so much.

    Best luck. Looks like you have a lovely product so you should be successful.

  3. YOu have some beautiful things here....good luck with your etsy shop. I am a new follower from the blog hop, thanks for checking out www.runninglovingliving.com!!

  4. Thanks for the follow. Good luck with your new shop. I also have a little, neglected etsy shop. I've discovered I sell much more through a local craft consignment shop. My stuff is fiber though, and people like to touch to see how scarves feel.

    I'll be your newest follower as soon as I comment here. :)

  5. Hi Great blog Im returning the follow thank you for following me :)

  6. HI Jill,
    If you need some help with the polymer clay when you try it with your girls, let me know :)
    Have a nice day!

  7. Love your blog. Can we follow each other?

  8. Starting an Etsy shop is on my 'to-do' list for this year, so I'll be really interested to follow your progress. I think I should also dive into it and then pick it up as I go along. I think I need to have 2-3 different products to start with though... I'd better start working on those ;)

  9. I have been an Etsy member (like I am an ebay and amazon member) for years. I was all enthused about setting up my shop but I never did anything with it. I will be doing a post for your Wed hop (not this week) about places to sell your handmade items online. I am all research and very little action. My downfall.
    I do have 2 posts for the hop tomorrow ready.

    To get better at selling may I recommend you read books and articles by Zig Ziglar and Joe Vitale, among others, or listen to them while you craft.
    You can get CDs at your library, listen on YouTube or other podcasts.

    One could spend all day on Etsy learning and exploring. In my post for tomorrow I have a link for some of my favorite "Quit your day job" stories.

    I am impressed with all you are getting accomplished. You are motivating me to take action. I am sure you are doing the same for others.

  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I'm now following you as well! I love your stuff. So cute!

  11. Good way to make your own success! I'm trying to do something new for myself!

  12. Hi Jill,
    Thanks for dropping by. I am returning the follow. Great blog. I am glad you found me off of Chickadee Tuesdays.


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !