Sunday, June 26, 2011

Keywords on your blog

I started reading the blogging books I got from the library - and found an interesting section in one of them about using keywords on your blog.  By using the right keywords, in the right way, you can help to drive more traffic to your site.  So I figured this was a good thing to look at.

The book I found this information in was Blogging all-in-one for Dummies - lots of interesting info about all aspects of blogging!

Anyway, back to keywords..

First thing I needed to do, was to find out what keywords people were searching for which brought them to my blog!   So I looked at both the 'stats'  tab at the top of blogger, and also Google analytics.  I found that most of my searches come from people looking for specific items - like my most popular tutorial - bed pockets, and also my insulated lunch bags tutorial.  I also get a fair amount of people who have googled clothes upcycling, and them some who are looking for something like 'way to success'

So what does that tell me?  Well, what I already knew really, that people are coming to my site - largely for my tutorials, and my clothes upcycling projects and links!  Ok, so that wasn't much of a discovery!

So what can keywords do for me?

Well since people are looking for tutorials, I can make sure the wording I use in my tutorial posts clearly reflects what they are for. 
The book suggests that you focus on one keyword phrase per post, and try to use that keyword phrase at the beginning and end of the post in particular, but also through the post in different grammatical forms - for example in the plural, or different verb tenses.

So for example, if it's a post on clothes upcycling, I could use:

upcycle those clothes
clothing upcycle
I upcycled this.....
100 great clothes upcycling projects
How to upcycle a...

I guess this helps as people Google things in different ways.

Again for example, if I Google:

Clothes upcycling                          -    then my blog comes up 3rd on the search results
Upcycling clothes                          -    then my blog comes up 6th on the search results
Clothes upcycling projects            -   then my blog comes up 3rd on the search results
100+ clothes upcycling projects    -   then my blog comes up 1st on the search results
Clothes recycling                           -   nothing!
Recycling clothes                           -   nothing!

It is also recommended to use the keyword phrases in subheadings, bolded text, and  close to links.

I've also had a look at Google Adwords tool  where you can enter words and phrases, and see how often they and similar words and combinations are searched on Google.

That shows me that recycling is searched FAR more than upcycling.

then also I found this strange:
the word                 upcycle           had 60,500 global monthly searches,  
 but the word          up cycle          had 246,000!!!

Did the space make all the difference? 
I looked in our big Collins English Dictionary (from 2003)  and upcycle isn't there at all! 
So I tried Wikipedia!  According to that:

Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.

Recycling is processing used materials (waste) into new products to prevent waste of potentially useful materials, reduce the consumption of fresh raw materials, reduce energy usage, reduce air pollution (from incineration) and water pollution (from landfilling) by reducing the need for "conventional" waste disposal, and lower greenhouse gas emissions as compared to virgin production.

So what is the difference?

I found this on wikianswers:

"upcycling is when you use something in the form it already is to make something else. recycling you change the form of the item before making something else out of it."

Mmm, clear as mud! And really - I think you could use the two interchangeably but mean the same! 
So does that mean I should call my clothes upcycling  - clothes recycling instead, to get more traffic from google searches?  What's in a word hey!!?? Who would have thought!

Agan on Google AdWords search:

recycle clothes     33,000 global monthly searches
upcycle clothes       3,600  global monthly searches

clothes recycle     33,100
clothes upcycle    - nothing found!!

So judging from all that - I should start calling what I do recycling not upcycling!  I wonder if it will really make a difference?  Only one way to find out I guess......

Another thing that the book tells you is to avoid over using the keywords! (so this post will have stuffed that up completely!! Ha Ha!)

One final thing I found interesting was that you can look up what are the top 20 searches people are making now!  Great to know if you blog about something in that top 20:

I just had a look - but sadly there is  nothing there I could even vaguely post about on my blog!  I'll keep looking though - maybe one day there will be a trend for something I could sew ??/ or at least blog about without it being totally irrelevant to my blog!

Phew!  Well that's a lot of information about 'words' and my head is spinning slightly!!!  How about yours?

Have you ever considered keywords when writing your blog posts?  How much difference do you think it makes?


  1. I so love all the info you put into your posts. Thanks for posting about your discoveries. What if you put "upcycling/recycling" then you cover both keywords. No I haven't ever gotten into key words.

  2. Hi Jill

    Fantastic post!

    Really interesting and useful information. I will have to think about the wording in my posts now.

    Keep up the great work!

    Michelle :-)

  3. Thanks for this excellent post. I have found on my piano blog the same tips regarding key words. I can write about 2-5-1 chord progressions and rephrase this for additional posts to drive more traffic to my blog.

  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now following you with GFC! Great blog u got here!

  5. I wrote a series of articles on seo and marketing that you might find helpful (although you covered many of the points here). :)


  6. That was awesome, Thank you for sharing.
    Nice to meet you New Follower from Planet Weidknecht's Sunday Hop Please follow me back at and check out my website great deals!

  7. You have such a curious mind and wonderful enthusiasm.

    I haven't given much thought to keywords since my intent was to write of things that amuse and interest me, and hope that others who share in my interests stop by and chat. But if I were to make a business of my blog, I will certainly put your advice to use.

    This is my first chance to stop by after being out a week due to a stomach flu. Have a great rest of the week.

  8. Great Post! You have such great information on your posts and it's really pointing me in the right direction...keep up the good work!

  9. Really useful post. Thanks for sharing all this info.

    Most of my visitors to my site all for Tutorials Page Since my blog is about Sewing & Pattern Making and emphasises on Indian outfits like Choli / Saree Blouse, Salwar Kameez, the most searched keywords which landed them on my site very like Patiala, Choli pattern etc.

    The google trends site i was not aware, thanks for introducing me to it.

    Recently opened up online kids clothing store alongside my blog, hope to get my blog users to become potential customers and / or spread the word around that Adithis Amma Sews now offers Custom Made Clothing for Kids

    Thanks once again!

  10. Such interesting information there. In terms of recycling vs upcycling, sometimes it pays to go with what is most common rather than what is "right"

    And if you have the time, you could keep your eye on the google trends and see if it changes. Maybe more people search for craft projects on the weekend etc....

    I think I'm going to pay more attention to what words I use now ;)

  11. Hello Jill!

    Keywords are indeed the key to SEO(search engine optimization). I am currently doing this on my blog and it's really productive!

    Great posts you have here!

    I'm always grateful for good bloggers like you who spent a moment to visit and follow my blog.
    Thank you.

    Smiles from,

    Andy at

    Smiles from,

    Andy at

  12. Hi, I thanks for visiting my blog, and leaving a comment. I'm returning the favor.

    I read your post with great interest, because I'm aiming to become a professional blogger.

    So in answer to your question: yes I do pay attention to key words, but I often find their use very complicated.

  13. Hi - am visiting via Friday Frog Blog Hop!

    Am your newest Follower :o)
    Nice to meet you!

    So much info - thanks so much for sharing!
    Am having woes right now so I may end up switching to wordpress :o(

    Happy Sand and Sea Sunday!

  14. Great information and super helpful to a relatively new blogger like myself. Following through GFC from the Planet Wiederknecht Sunday blog hop.

  15. Thanks for the info! I've been trying to use keywords based on my searches. I've really found that my rankings on Google are increasing, especially for certain topics and posts.

    Stopping by from the Planet Wedknecht hop. Now following you!

  16. Thank you for the link to Google trends. I was watching a video the other day (and of course can't read my own notes) but it was about key word optimization, SEO and the potential of writing e-books for added income. Anyhow - as relates to this topic, one site I did write down was
    Overature is another search engine, about 1/10 the useage of Google, but still shows what people are looking for. On this site you can also see what ad rates are, and which might be useful for your site. The recommended rate was at least 30 thousand searches for a keyword.

    Once I translate my notes I will write a post. It is interesting but takes a lot of self education to get started.

  17. Yeah, the keywords can be pretty useful in making your blog SEO friendly. Of course, you have to take care in not putting too many keywords in one go. Your posts would end up looking awkward, and that would make people lose interest in them.

  18. I do agree with your post meta keyword and description. These are the back bone of the blogspot which helps to make this blog interesting and famous.


I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !