Saturday, June 4, 2011

Join a forum - and grow your blog!

This month, I've challenged myself to take action every day to try to grow my blog.  I've been blogging for over a year now, and in that time I've signed up for email newsletters with blog hints, downloaded blogging how-to e-books, listened to blogging podcasts and read blogging books from the library.  But how much of the advice have I actually heeded and acted upon?  Are you the same?  Or have you taken information and then taken action??

I love spending my days creating and blogging, and going back into the regular workforce would seriously cut that time down! So I'm determined to make creating and blogging my job!

So it's time to take action!
One of the websites I've subscribed to and I read and listen to a lot of his material is
Yaro Starek's site:

I subscribed to his email newsletter to receive his Blog Profits Blueprint.  This was great - I downloaded it in MP3 format and listened to it as well as saving the PDF version to read and refer back to.
I found that I'm already doing some things that he mentioned, but not others.
One thing he mentions, and I've also seen said elsewhere is to get active on forums in your topic area.  Really this makes sense- getting more involved in the community, I'm sure I'll learn lots from the forums and it will be an enjoyable thing to do, and also get me out there and better known, and hopefully so my blog too!
So let's get to it! 

 I've been searching for sewing forums (since sewing is my main creative medium)- and found that I've actually found lots of them before, thought how good they looked,but not gone back to!
I think sometimes that there are SO many great resources out there, that it's hard to pick which ones to spend your time on.

So what I've decided to do is find 3 forums which look like I might get most out of , and commit to spending a little time each day on them to learn new things, meet like-minded people, and become actively involved.

First one,which I'm already subscribed to and always mean to read:

Next, again one I'm already subscribed to, and keep meaning to...

and finally, another I was active on for a while last year,but haven't been to for a while:
Do you spend time on forums?  Do you have any others to recommend?
If you do use them, do you know if they bring any blog traffic to you?
I'm going to get active and watch my stats to see if there is any flow on effect - and I'll let you know!
Hopefully I'll learn lots of new things and find new blogs myself too!



6 comments:

  1. Man, I'm glad I found your blog. I really enjoy your advice you have been giving on blogs, it's really helpful. I hope that once I implement the suggestions I'm finding, my blog will blow up.

    Here's to continued success!

    -A-Mac
    A-Mac's Success Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never joined a forum...I'll be interested in your experience. You are definitely being proactive - hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend time in the Aussie Bloggers Forum. It has sections for discussions of blogging as well as sections for other topics, including crafts. You can find it here: http://www.aussiebloggersforum.com.au I have learnt heaps of stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by!
    I look forward to reading more from you! :)
    -Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Yaro's blog before I started my blog last September. Good advice! I just quit my job (my last day was today) and I also plan to grow my blog and craft my way to a new career. I'll be watching your progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting is that. I do belong to a Forum and we are currently discussing how to help it grow. Sounds like we all should be helping each other. :-) I hope you enjoy the Forums you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !