Friday, June 3, 2011

Adding a facebook like button and a tweet this button to your posts

Now hopefully at the top of this post you will see a 'like' button for Facebook, and a 'tweet' button for twitter.
If there are, there then PLEASE somebody like and tweet this, and make all my effort worthwhile!
It took me long enough to get them there!
My eyes were strained from studying my computer screen so intently - I had to take a break to look at this.....

There's so many things I read that tell me the importance of social media sites in promoting your blog.  I set up a facebook page a while ago, but to be honest, until now have only put links to my posts on it!  Now I need to start using it to post some DIFFERENT information!!
I've also set up a twitter account, and so far have managed about 4 'tweets' !!  Still figuring that one out!

A while ago I also discovered stumbleupon, and in a spurt of enthusiasm, added that button to my blog - but sorry,can't remember how!!!

I've been seeing these facebook and twitter buttons all over the place - on larger sites' posts, so thought I'd get some of my very own!
Then, I went outside to look up at the hills to give my eyes a rest from all that close up work!!!


If you want to add these buttons to your posts, here's how:

Go to these links and follow the instructions!!



Yes, it's that simple.  BUT my tips would be:

1. When it says to go into the 'html' of your blog (very simple instructions to get you there) don't panic that you might stuff up your entire blog!!
 (I was very apprehensive -  but I have to say it was easier than I thought)
You can download your template first, so if you did accidentally delete parts or the whole thing, then you can always just paste it back in again!)

2. When you have to find the exact spot to paste the code into, don't spend AGES (like I did) peering at the screen looking for
   a tiny few words and symbols  
in a sea of indecipherable html code.

 
Press ctrl- F and this brings up a nifty little search box at the top of the page.  Pop the bit you're looking for into the search, and it will take you straight there!

3. In case you don't read ALL the instructions before pasting in the code - paste it BEFORE    to get the buttons at the top of your post, or AFTER to get the buttons at the end of the post.

Then take a break again
I love Cairns in winter!!


Now hopefully people can start 'liking' and 'tweeting' my posts!!

Off you go - add them to your blog too!

The more likes, tweets and links we get -
that will hopefully go towards lifting our google page ranks!!
Did you check what yours was on yesterday's post??
UPDATE:  Now that this post is published I thought I'd mention something I've noticed.  When I opened my blog this morning,I was VERY disappointed to see the little facebook and twitter buttons I spent so long on yesterday weren't there!  I tried another test post and they showed up!  AAARRGGHH!!

Anyway, it seems they only show up when you look at a specific post - not just the homepage of the blog!!  Does that make sense?  Is it the same on your computer??

22 comments:

  1. i have followed the tut, but i cant see mine at the bottom of my page??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Following you from the Terrific Thursday Blog Hop! Would love you to visit my Cajun blog and return the follow!
    - Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I "liked" it on facebook :) I don't "twitter" yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Carolyn - they only show up if you're viewing a specific post - not just the homepage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow! Following you back :)

    God Bless
    Brittany
    http://www.findingbrittnemo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am following you back. You can actually active them somehow in your blogger set up so they appear automatically. I can't remember how of course which makes me not much help at all. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there! Happy Friday Blog Hop! I am your newest follower, I hope you could visit and follow my blog as well.tnx!
    http://clavsupclose.blogspot.com/
    clavs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through blog hop and started to follow. Very nice blog!

    http://cicinkorut.blogspot.com/
    http://absolutelywhite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl you and I must be on the same page because I let my personal FB page be taken over by blogger. Which is fine with me. But day before yesterday I opened my first Twitter account. I don't know how to use it yet but I have one ;) I am still trying to learn about my blog it has be up for three months. I opened them to help out my Etsy shop but I spend most of my time on the blog.

    Following you via FNF blog hop. Did your tweet did you FB already done your GFC and I already have your blog button. Need to get your blog hop button and I will get A Round Tuit also. Now is you get a chance come visit me. You featured my blue jean sewing machine cover her on you blog and thank you for that again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK! I am going to be on your blog A LOT! There are things on my blog that I have no idea how to correct it!!

    http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/
    http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/
    http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for following. I am following back. http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been inspiring me although my computer is not cooperating. It is old, like me. But I saw this and wanted to share with you. http://petitehermine.blogspot.com/2011/06/blogging-for-etsyians.html I think you will enjoy it.

    On WP there is a one click way to add the buttons and I think also on Blogger. If I found them, anyone who takes the time to look under different tabs can also. Just remember to SAVE CHANGES before you change pages.

    It makes sense to only be visible on a specific post or you could end up liking something else.

    We are in a storm here so I'm jumping off line for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I just landed here from the Adventures in Mommyhood Finding Friends blog hop. I'm a brand new follower.

    Yes, you are right about having those buttons where you can see them. Great job.

    Bella Vida by Letty
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Newest Follower from Friday Blog Hop! Thanks for the tips! Will be back for more!
    Miriam
    http://productjunkiemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can barely get through the basic blogging stuff, someone asked me if I had a button the other day and my eyes rolled back into my head and put me in a coma.

    Thanks for following, back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a new follower on GFC. I found you through New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. Hope you can stop by my blog and check it out and follow back.
    http://www.atthemapletable.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all soooo much for your lovely comments! Knowing people are reading this inspires me to do more and achieve more!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love addthis it has facebook, twitter and other popular bookmarking sites. Wordpress even has a plugin for it, very easy to install!

    I'm your newest follower from the Finding New Friends Hop! I hope you'll stop by my blog www.mommydigger.com and give me a follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Some one from facebook refereed your link i have book marked it nice blogs you write see Free Ezine Article here

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a new follower through the Hop Along Friday Blog Hop. Would love if you could follow back.

    http://brittanysrandomramblings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !