Some pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How are you Creating your way to Success - Tammy at Type A


·Welcome my weekly post about how different people are Creating their way to Success.

My aim in this weekly feature is to :

• Provide an interesting insight into other people’s journeys towards their own personal success

• Help contributors to this post by encouraging them to advertise their own blog, website or shop / market within their post.

• Share motivation and encouragement with as many people as possible who are looking to use their creativeness to work towards their own goal of success.

This week's guest is Tammy from Type A:


When Jill at Creating my Way to Success asked me if I would be interested in doing a guest interview  “How are you creating your way to Success?”  I was super excited, and then really nervous.  What do I know about success?
First let me introduce myself, my name is Tammy and my blog is Type A.  I'm new to the blog writing world, started back in August, but didn't really get serious about it until December.  I've been stalking quite a few for sometime.  I'm a stay at home mom, my hubby works overseas, and I have two great kids.  I'm completely addicted to bargain shopping, hunting for great stuff/junk and caffeine.  I'm not sure I would be able to walk upright with out my caffeine.
What do you create?  A little of this a little of that.  I love to refinish furniture, decorate, design and craft.  Some times my ideas play out better in my head, but I never quit, I just consider it Research and Development. 
Here is an example of what I like to do.  My office is one of my favorite rooms in my home, I've either, designed, refinished, created or hunted for the perfect pieces to go in here.  I'm in here a lot, so I wanted it to be ME.
I  hunted craigslist for this desk for 6 months, and then I finally found the perfect shape, brought it home and refinished it.  This desk took me longer to do than some smaller projects I had tackled, but worth it.
I created these candle holders.
I hunted for this hanger, but the Maison sign, I created.  Not that I couldn't have made the hanger, but I had just started crafting and wasn't really sure of what I could do, or would want to.  I consider it R&D.
I hunted for these maps on Etsy, I knew I wanted vintage hand painted maps.  One of them is from 1864!  The tin piece was an Etsy purchase too, I repainted it and changed the ribbon, and found the great old door knob to hang it from.
The penant banner was a design, the chairs were hunted for, the shutter photo holder was created by me, and I painted the milk can.  The plates on the wall I stenciled.  You see where I'm going with this?  I put a lot of me into my spaces.  Either decorating or creating.
So there is a taste of my style.  I also make jewelry and hair accessories.  I've even started sewing.  I like to dabble.  Kind of a Jack of all trades type a girl.

 Why do you create?     It keeps me sane.  My hubby left for the Middle East in December of 2009 and every 7-10 months he gets to come home, he's actually coming home in May.  I needed some thing that was me and could fill up some time.  When I first started creating, I wasn't sure what I could do.  I'd never done anything like this before, boy did I surprise myself!  Funny what you can do when you try.
Do you sell your creations?  Not yet, but it's a goal of mine.  I think once the hubby is home for good, and I have some help around here I will definately start selling my creations.  I'm lucky to have the time I have to do things for my own home right now. 
What mistakes have you made or lessons have you learned?  One of the best lessons I've learned, and am still working on, is being patient, don't rush a project.  In the end it'll take you longer to finish some thing.  Mistakes are bound to happen, don't be too hard on yourself, no one is perfect. 
What to you is success?  If you had asked me this question a few years ago my answer would have been totally different.  I would have said some thing a long the lines of "Success to me is having a good job, nice home, blah blah blah.  Now that I have kids, a hubby that works overseas, I measure it much differently.  Did the kids get fed?  Is the laundry done?  Bills paid?  And I can check yes more than no, Success!  But seriously, if every one is happy and thriving, I consider that a great success, everything else will fall into place. 
Have you achieved it yet, or are you on your way towards success?  Yes and no, I work at if every day and I'm not giving up, taking it one day at time.  Just embrassing today and what tomorrow can bring.
So, what's next?  I guess, more of the same.  Down the road hubby will be back home and I hope to have my Etsy shop up and running, I'd also like to rent booth space so I can sell some of my bigger furniture items.  I'd also like to move to Texas and live a more rural life that is a little slower.  Gonna take it day by day until then, and enjoy what I have now.
If you made it this far, thanks! 
Thanks so much Jill for letting me guest post on your blog!
   





--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Tammy for your wondeful answers - Everyone views success in a different way - I don't think any one person is any more or any less qualified to answer these questions, and I love hearing other people's views on this, and seeing the myriad of ways in which people express their creativity!
 So if you would like to be featured one week, then do please leave me a comment and I'll get back to you asap with the details!

Thanks for reading! Do come back next week to see who is being featured then!
And come back later today to see what my clothes upcycling project is for day 11!
I'll be linking this post to many of the wonderful blog parties whose pretty buttons are on the bottom of this page.

4 comments:

  1. Tammy is one of my favorite bloggers, she is a true sweetheart. I would love to learn more about being featured. Now I'm off to explore your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower via the Catch a Wave Wednesday blog hop! :)

    Happy Mid-Week,
    Mary
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy is a very crafty and talented blogger as her follower, i know that she's also a very good mom and i love all her craft project especially that big desk, it's just gorgeous when she finished with it! love all her decoration style and her answer on the "what to you is success", bravo tammy! to me you're already there! :

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous home you have, Tammy!
    We have very similar taste. I'm a sucker for anything french themed and i love blacks and blues together.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people take the time to leave me a comment, and I do read them all and try to reply them. Do make sure you've checked 'show my email' in your profile (on your dashboard) so your email will show up for me to reply to! Thank you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails