Friday, March 4, 2011

Scrappy Friday - Olivia Renn guest post

Today I have a wonderful lady doing a guest post here.  She's put together a wonderful little tutorial, which fits in nicely with my Friday theme of using up scrap fabric!

-------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Macey and I am the proud mother of 2 beautiful boys, the wife of a loving husband, and founder of my local Mom's Club. The Olivia Renn blog has been a great outlet for me to direct some of my creative energy in a really fun way. I find myself constantly thinking of different ideas to try out and show all of you my results. Some things are inspired by other great crafting blogs, and others come out of my crafty little head. Please follow me or leave a comment if you like any of my crafting projects, and definitely send me a link if you have a blog of your own.
 
Olivia Renn
Easy Peasy NO SEW Bow Tie



Here's the supplies you'll need:

Old Tie
Hot Glue Gun
Scissors
Velcro
Elastic
Cotton

 Take your tie and lay it out flat. Find a 8 inch and a 4 inch section that is about the same width. 
Please note: I used 8 inches for this one and it was perfect for my 10 month old, you might have to go a bit longer for an older child.

 Next take the seam out of the longer piece, so it will open up.

 I wanted the bow tie to be a little fuller, so I stuffed it with some cotton, leaving a space in the middle and the edges.

Then glue it shut, just like it was before the seam was removed.

 Next take each end and glue it to the middle (this will be the back of the bow tie).

 Now take the smaller piece that was cut earlier and glue it right on top of those end pieces on the back.

 Then cut the elastic to fit around the child's neck (not too tight though!). Glue one side of the elastic on top of the last piece you just glued.

 Wrap that little piece of fabric around the bow tie and glue it on the back. I tried to make mine pretty tight and I had a little extra fabric so I folded the end under so it looked a little cleaner. After that put some velcro on the back of bow tie and the elastic piece. 



It should look something like this when you're done. Once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty easy and inexpensive project, because most people have an old tie to use, or you could always find one at a thrift store. 
You could play around with it a little too have have different variations.



I tried to take a few pics of my son wearing it, but he just kept trying to pull it off (I like the idea of the velcro for safety, but that means they can take it off too). I know my 2 year old would have worn it, but I took these during nap time.



Thanks so much, and don't forget to come visit me over at Olivia Renn!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Macey! That's a great tutorial, and also a great clothes upcycling project! I have a new page and linky to join up all your fantastic Clothes Upcycling projects and tutorials!  Please take a look and add any of your own projects, to what I'm hoping will grow into a great resource for all of us who can't bear to part with those favourite clothes than no longer fit! (especially kids ones)





 

And do go and check out Macey's lovely blog at Olivia Renn!

Jill

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet project and an adorable model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute post!

    I just found you through one of the Friday blog hops! Have a great weekend.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little project, thanks!! Just dropping by from Boost My Blog Friday and would love it if you could check out my blog and maybe follow me back.

    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!! I am a new follower from Boost My Blog! I'd love for you to follow back at http://www.kylakreates.blogspot.com or http://www. homeschoolingbytheyard.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie pie you have
    there!:0)

    Hi I'm following you
    from BYBF! I hope you
    visit and return the
    follow!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute & easy. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and try to respond to them all. Thanks for taking the time !